GFCI Protection

Dennyhle

May 11, 2021
California
So I have a GFCI outlet that is on the side of my Aqualink Power Center. The outlet is GFCI and works. I inserted a outlet tester and hit the GFCI test button and nothing happens. I hit the test button on the outlet itself and nothing happens. Does this mean my entire power center is not protected right now? Should tripping the GFCI outlet cause my entire pool system to shut off or just that particular outlet? I'm not sure if I have a GFCI breaker but if I did, it should have tripped with this test right?

Last edited:
So I have a GFCI outlet that is on the side of my Aqualink Power Center. The outlet is GFCI. I inserted a outlet tester and hit the GFCI test button and nothing happens. I hit the test button on the outlet itself and nothing happens. Does this mean my entire power center is not protected right now? Should tripping the GFCI outlet cause my entire pool system to shut off or just that particular outlet? I'm not sure if I have a GFCI breaker but if I did, it should have tripped with this test right?
The power center may or may not be wired thru that GFCI. Most likely, it is just for the light circuit. If it doesn't self test and a tester doesn't trip it, first turn the pool lights on and then try again to see if it does so. If not it needs to be replaced. If so, it is a working outlet only as long a the lights are on. Some installers wired them to only get power when the lights are on. They will only test/trip when powered.

The outlet was working even when pool lights were off but it just wasn't tripping GFCI. But I just checked both the main panel and the subpanel and I don't see GFCI breakers. Does this mean I have no GFCI protection right now? Bought this house last year...still learning everything about it.

The outlet was working even when pool lights were off but it just wasn't tripping GFCI. But I just checked both the main panel and the subpanel and I don't see GFCI breakers. Does this mean I have no GFCI protection right now? Bought this house last year...still learning everything about it.
Not on the pool lights, anyway. Don't use them until the GFCI is replaced.

Denny,

Newer pool rules say that your pumps need to be GFCI protected. This is normally done with GFCI breakers.

That said, many, many pools do not have GFCI breakers. The likelihood of failure is pretty remote, but the code is the code.

The exception is a standard 120-volt pool light. You really don't want to swim in a pool that has a 120-volt light that is not GFCI protected.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Denny,

Newer pool rules say that your pumps need to be GFCI protected. This is normally done with GFCI breakers.

That said, many, many pools do not have GFCI breakers. The likelihood of failure is pretty remote, but the code is the code.

The exception is a standard 120-volt pool light. You really don't want to swim in a pool that has a 120-volt light that is not GFCI protected.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Ok thanks for the info. I figured it would be a requirement for all pools. My pool fill line is literally directly below my subpanel. Doesn't seem safe.

Here's the photo...I didn't build this pool....bought the house last year.

Does a GFCI breaker normally go at the subpanel or at the main panel if nothing but pool equipment is on the same circuit?20220620_200924.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I don’t think your GFCI on your convenience outlet protects anything but what’s plugged into that outlet. It definitely needs to be replaced.
Would need a pic of the Aqualink with the door open to know if your circuit breakers to your pump(s) are GFCB or not.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.