GFCI for NEC 680

sierradmax

May 25, 2020
RI
Self install for a 24' AGP. I ran two 120V, 20A dedicated circuits out to a pole 6' from the pool wall. One will be for a 120V GFCI convenience receptacle fed from a standard 20A circuit breaker. For the pump, I purchased a 20A GFCI, single pole circuit braker that snaps into the neutral bus bar (no neutral pigtail) but it will not fit into my SquareD homeline panel. The "blades" on the back of the breaker are narrower that what my panel has. It's a 20+ year old panel so perhaps SquareD made some changes throughout the years.

Instead of trying the breaker with neutral pigtail, could I wire a faceless 20A GFCI in-line prior to the pump service switch?

In the HD description of that breaker it says "Compatible with Homeline Plug-On Neutral electrical panels only".

Why don't you want to use a GFCI CB with a neutral pigtail?

I looked at my panel and a couple internet images of the plug-on breaker and thought it would work. I'm not opposed to neutral pig tail but a bit more research yielded that Legrand commented how their faceless GFCI receptacle is suited for outdoor use and 1.5hp pool pump motors.
$20 vs. $50 breaker.

You need a breaker with the pigtail.
The neutral bus bar is a connection an older box will not have. The reason there is no pigtail on it is that the connection is made right there, underneath the breaker to run the GFCI current sensing circuit back to neutral.
On the pigtail model you just have to make that connection yourself, along with all the other neutral wires in the box already hooked up there at the neutral strip.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.