Getting Underway in Dallas

DallasFool

Nov 4, 2021
Dallas, TX
Hello All,

We're looking at building a pool/spa in Dallas. Going with a modern rectangular, with around a 15x26 pool shape (including a 7x7 spa and tanning ledge) with sport pool depth. 4 quotes in so far. Not quite apples to apples (e.g., some have thrown in sod and sprinkler repair) but they're pretty close. Most came in at around $90 to $100. One at $73.

Here's a look:

NewPool.jpg

Here come the first of a million questions before we select our PB.

3 of the 4 PB are offering variable speed (those are $90k to $100k). 1 of the 4 ($73k) is saying they don't believe the energy savings offset that of a two-speed. What's the consensus here?

Also, it seems every single one of these places wants to sell me on their difference. Some say that shotcrete is better, while others say that the integrity of their gunite is sound. Some say they run individual plumbing lines around the pool, while others don't but offer a 10-year plumbing warranty.

Also, also, on the right side is where the sun's going to rise and there's little to no shade. Given the shallow depth, should we be looking into a chiller or heat pump that can handle both heating and cooling? Or is there an alternative to cooling the pool?

And I'll end by asking "what's something you wish you would've done?" I've heard things like tying the pool fill to the sprinkler line (makes sense to me) or upgrading to travertine vs paved concrete (not as big of a concern), but feel free to lay it on me.

Yeah, I know this was a bit of a barrage, so I greatly appreciate you helping this pool-building fool out.

I am in the process of getting a pool...the pumps were just turned on a few days ago...they were louder than I expected and I could hear them inside...when I asked the start-up guy about it, he said we just needed to knock the speed down a little and sure enough that reduced the sound enough...this is a variable speed pump...my understanding of a dual speed is it's run at either high or low speed and nothing in between...I vote variable speed.

I got travertine, i'm happy with the look...pavers would not have looked right. I think I did get too much decking...my pool is only 8 feet wide at the narrowest spot, I think I could have gone a little wider.

I did the sunshelf too deep...if I did it again, I would have done 2 levels...one shallow and one at the 15 inches that it is now.

How many years have the PB's been in business? I personally didn't look at anyone that had not been in business at least 10 years. What are their payment terms? Make sure that your final payment is after they are done, not before plaster. And spend at much time reading on this forum as you can...I learned so much!

Reactions: BigPapaSmurf
Huge +1 to VS pump. It’s true that the 2 speed will save almost as much on low speed to justify saving a few bucks on the 2 speed, but many skimmers/ heaters / SWGs (possibly future) / water features / etc, need more flow than the 2 speed low. So you may be stuck running high and using tons of electric.

A 3 HP VS will move more water and need less RPMs to do it, saving you in the long run.

You are looking to spend a small fortune. $300 more for the backbone of the operation is *peanuts*. The Intelliflo 011028 or 011056 are the gold standard of pool pumps.

And Welcome to TFP !!!

DF,

When talking about "running plumbing around the pool", I suspect they are talking about the return plumbing lines.. Running a loop around the pool is always the best option. And there should be almost no increase in cost, it is just how it should be done.

What did they say about automation? If you have a Spa, you will need some kind of automation system... What brand of equipment does your builder use?

How do you plan to sanitize your pool water? I vote going with a saltwater pool.. Very easy to maintain..

I have stamped concrete and wish I had gone with pavers.. The look would have been worth the extra cost...

Do not let them talk you into an In-Floor Cleaning System (IFCS)..

Do not let them tell you that your pump needs to have the Suction Vacuum Release System (SVRS).. They do not!!

I vote going with a large VS pump and large cartridge filter..

I always recommend a fill line into the pool, either manual or automatic.. Also an overflow drain is a must...

Thanks,

Jim R.

And I'll end by asking "what's something you wish you would've done?"
My biggest mistake was not having the thought at the time (10 years ago) to seek an Online community full of ‘been there / done thats’. TFP was here and could have taught me all kinds of stuff. Like that the $700 robot cleaned just as well as the $2700 robot with more bells and whistles. I thought the expense one was bigger and I needed it for my bigger pool. So I manually vac’d like a cheapskate for years. I’ll probably have my robot delivered the day they break ground on my next build. Nope. I don’t want to drive the fancy one with my cellphone, the cheap one does just fine on its own. I even know where to call for one….. Marina Pools and Spa in Denver. Free shipping and better than internet prices, even their own webpage. But you have to call to be an ‘in person’ sale to bypass the manufacturers territorial nonsense.

You’ll LOVE it here. Ooodles of tidbits, just like that. :)

You are going to love it here! We love to help people build the best pool for the yard and family!

Here is a link for you:

Here are a couple of links to past threads on the subject of what they wish they had done different:

we would love to see where this will be going.

Kim:kim:

Welcome! I am new to process as well but underway with my build. Some feedback I will share based on my experiences:

• What does the down payment look like? All builders I talked with asked for no more than 1500 down to start. I have seen some other in our area get quoted over 2500 to start
  • What is the payment schedule, most builders in our area are asking for roughly, 30% at dig, 35% at Gunite, 30% coping, 5% prior to plater.. Some recommend to hold that 5% until after plaster
  • Build times in our area are inflated, We signed contract in July, and our project is supposed to start second week of December.

Reactions: Blue_Skies
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.