Getting started! Owner Build in SoCal

Thank you! Your questions are always helpful. I just spoke with a great guy at Polytec and confirmed no issue either warranty, we also went over some of these questions.

He agreed the EasyTouch was not needed at all. He said the IntelliTouch was good, but the newer Intellicenter was the best option.

As for the heater, he recommended staying with Pentair to get the extra year of warranty. I guess if you buy certain items together you get a 3 yr warranty instead of a 2. He did though say to move to the MasterTemp HD which has copper nickel inside that will be better with the salt water.

The lights we figured out, the globrite is for a small baja shelf area tucked in by the spa. So, he agreed you don’t usually mix them but the Baja shelf made sense.

He was confused for the need of 3 transformers so I’m going to talk with our plumber. And he recommended the Pentair bubblers with the LEDs since we have 3 bubblers in the Baja section. We will talk with the plumber and see if it’s even possible since we already did the shotcrete (we had the pipes down for just some basic bubblers I guess).

Oh, and yeah- 4 pumps! We have 4 water scuppers on its own pump. I think the Baja bubblers are in another pump. The spa is on its own pump. And the pool.

Turning over the new quote to my husband for him to talk with the plumber about. But with the revisions and going with the company in Las Vegas we look to be saving about $2500.

The HD heater is not worth the upgrade or needed and I have had a lot of problems with the MasterTemps. You are getting enough pentair equipment to get the 3 year warranty - It only takes 3 products. The Raypak is the same price and rock solid, not to mention its almost completely silent.

I still don't understand the globrite. Might as well make it a Micro

You need a separate transformer for each light(s) that you want to be on a different color/ light show

The EasyTouch can only control 2 IntelliFlo pumps so you will definitely be limited to the IntelliTouch/IntelliCenter

Last edited:
The HD heater is not worth the upgrade or needed and I have had a lot of problems with the MasterTemps. You are getting enough pentair equipment to get the 3 year warranty - I only takes 3 products. The Raypak is the same price and rock solid, not to mention its almost completely silent.

I still don't understand the globrite. Might as well make it a Micro

You need a separate transformer for each light(s) that you want to be on a different color/ light show

The EasyTouch can only control 2 IntelliFlo pumps so you will definitely be limited to the IntelliTouch/IntelliCenter
We have the Micro on the Baja and the globrites in the main pool and spa.

It’s been a while, and no major progress has happened. Our walls are about done, minus a bench and stucco/paint. We are now moving on to finishing the pool. We went with precast coping and though the coping we received is exactly what we wanted, we are having an issue with many of the coping not being flat on the bottom and instead of extra concrete from the molds. Disappointed since it took almost 2 months to receive, cost a pretty penny, and that’s not including the $750 shipping!

We’ve contacted our salesman and he’s going to see how they can fix the problem. My sub contractors have said they can attempt to grind it down, but it would still look different than the smooth ones.

This project has been one pain after another. We were hoping to be done by end of April, but now I’m hoping for June. especially when you see our tile and our drama with the finger rail! This pool may drive me to drink.

Attachments

• A11016BB-EF7F-4B50-B3AF-E513803110B3.jpeg
    A11016BB-EF7F-4B50-B3AF-E513803110B3.jpeg
    855.6 KB · Views: 80
  • 5D0E7FE4-45D1-4DF9-9597-E6FF0E8A6A8E.jpeg
    5D0E7FE4-45D1-4DF9-9597-E6FF0E8A6A8E.jpeg
    792.1 KB · Views: 86
  • 95042667-2FAA-474A-979F-2C8F485DDB6D.jpeg
    95042667-2FAA-474A-979F-2C8F485DDB6D.jpeg
    766.9 KB · Views: 90
  • 1D294FD7-40F0-4540-957C-6D0CE66E5B25.jpeg
    1D294FD7-40F0-4540-957C-6D0CE66E5B25.jpeg
    387.9 KB · Views: 87
OH NO and we were so happy when someone.................? me...........shared that idea...........the darker one........can you have the flat one go back or be cut shorter so the front one can go in front of it to hide the end?

Kim (NOT cheering on this one)

Reactions: WalkerTribe7
It probably doesn't make you feel any better but we're in a similar boat re: a project that keeps finding ways to go slower. We are won't be done until June at the earliest and if I can't swing the budget for the latest problem, it will probably be more like August/September! FWIW, I've been drinking throughout the project -- I highly recommend it.

OH NO and we were so happy when someone.................? me...........shared that idea...........the darker one........can you have the flat one go back or be cut shorter so the front one can go in front of it to hide the end?

Kim (NOT cheering on this one)

I love the finger rail, I just picked the hardest tile to use for it. I think we have it figured out, but I’m waiting until we get started with the tiling to see for sure. My tiles are individual 2x6’s that they are having to perfectly stack and lineup (I will post an example), so once we get the finger ledge we will cut the tile then use some to cover it (a bunch of nice 45 Degree cuts my guys aren’t excited to do) and then using the remaining amount from the previous tile above it we cut to allow our eyes to see the same pattern and not necessarily the finger rail. I’m hoping that makes sense. It will be a HUGE pain to tile. 100%

Our coping salesman (who is AWESOME) is going to the manufacturer today to discuss resolving the issue with our coping. None of them are perfect underneath, but my concern is more with an extra lip that is noticeable from a straight on view with 90% of them. I have no idea how it can be resolved, but if it involves making more- I’m praying we aren’t waiting another 4 weeks :(

Today, they are moving to my bar and getting started on pouring the footer. It will be 28 ft in total length (in a “u” shape), so I won’t have water in pool- but I will have margaritas blending on the bar!

Attachments

• 4EA0C716-F47B-4616-9462-87C533BCA9B1.jpeg
    4EA0C716-F47B-4616-9462-87C533BCA9B1.jpeg
    291.5 KB · Views: 70
Not too many updates with the pool- coping issues seek to have been resolved. The company was awesome and brought in their own crew to fix them and replaced what wasn’t fixable. We have a couple of stair treads to order slightly wider, but for the most part coping is good and mostly installed.

Tiling has not begun yet, but water features were installed (will post pictures of the plumbing). Currently working on our BBQ/kitchen area and leveling everything for pavers. Our crew isn’t the fastest, but they’ve done a good job and are always willing to fix any issue we have. Trying not to stress on it already hit May and we are not done

Started getting quotes for plaster- ? the pricing is crazy. Of course, we liked the radiant fusion that was the most expensive but are now looking at micro fusion and possibly adding in glass to save money. No idea how to pick colors, but liking the greys and whites (like the majority of our yard).

I can’t wait to fill this pool!!! Fingers crossed it happens in 2019.

Attachments

• BAE06631-2155-4A94-8011-DC24C87896CF.jpeg
    BAE06631-2155-4A94-8011-DC24C87896CF.jpeg
    525.3 KB · Views: 79
  • 0FBDCD19-D374-4631-905B-D0068B844C2E.jpeg
    0FBDCD19-D374-4631-905B-D0068B844C2E.jpeg
    725.4 KB · Views: 79
  • 5B60FAC2-24CB-4CE6-B505-E2D1BDB56C96.jpeg
    5B60FAC2-24CB-4CE6-B505-E2D1BDB56C96.jpeg
    664.3 KB · Views: 75
  • 2603AD58-C6CF-486A-975B-002B949CD2D9.jpeg
    2603AD58-C6CF-486A-975B-002B949CD2D9.jpeg
    431.4 KB · Views: 74
  • 36C163D6-A41B-44FA-BCE1-CE336B01ACDE.jpeg
    36C163D6-A41B-44FA-BCE1-CE336B01ACDE.jpeg
    486.3 KB · Views: 71
Some additional photos. We’ve also ordered and received all the pool equipment and well.. we are super ready. Our fire pit should be shipped soon, started ordering furniture. Did I mention we are ready?!

Attachments

• 01D5DFF4-B0B6-413C-B4FB-71F40B8EC59C.jpeg
    01D5DFF4-B0B6-413C-B4FB-71F40B8EC59C.jpeg
    513.6 KB · Views: 42
  • 6DA28371-C7D8-4A35-907A-3AB748EDDF37.jpeg
    6DA28371-C7D8-4A35-907A-3AB748EDDF37.jpeg
    785.9 KB · Views: 44
  • A7CCD454-D3D2-4A04-AEB3-BB49CE1C2050.jpeg
    A7CCD454-D3D2-4A04-AEB3-BB49CE1C2050.jpeg
    858 KB · Views: 43
  • 180F4FD3-7A00-4F91-B208-859EDA15925B.jpeg
    180F4FD3-7A00-4F91-B208-859EDA15925B.jpeg
    768.4 KB · Views: 43
  • D9E55E7A-C431-4A6B-A65F-66AA8A84C579.jpeg
    D9E55E7A-C431-4A6B-A65F-66AA8A84C579.jpeg
    674.2 KB · Views: 41

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Can you please tell me how they fixed the coping? It sounds like they removed and replaced but want to make sure. I use this kind of knowledge in future builds if they have problems. THANKS!

The water features look pretty. I can't wait to see them working!

Plaster color-the darker you go the more chance of it mottling or at least it showing up. Make sure you use a "top shelf" company as it is all about the skill of the installers. I have some links to help you get a good plaster job:

Ten Guidelines for Quality Pool Plaster Best one of all
Not All Color Pigments are Good for Pools How to pick a good color for plaster.
All Plaster Finishes Should Last 20 Years
Trouble Free Pool
Trouble Free Pool

I hope these help!

Kim:kim:

Who did the pre-cast - I went with Empire Precast, looked good - had a few thicker ones, but had a lot extra to pick from. In hindsite, wonder if pour-in-place would have been better?
Ended up using Stepstone. We thought about poor in place but did not want to deal with the possibility of cracks and mismatch if it was replaced.
We are putting pavers in that are from the same company and color also.

Can you please tell me how they fixed the coping? It sounds like they removed and replaced but want to make sure. I use this kind of knowledge in future builds if they have problems. THANKS!

The water features look pretty. I can't wait to see them working!

Plaster color-the darker you go the more chance of it mottling or at least it showing up. Make sure you use a "top shelf" company as it is all about the skill of the installers. I have some links to help you get a good plaster job:

Ten Guidelines for Quality Pool Plaster Best one of all
Not All Color Pigments are Good for Pools How to pick a good color for plaster.
All Plaster Finishes Should Last 20 Years
Trouble Free Pool
Trouble Free Pool

I hope these help!

Stepstone was who made our coping and they had a few executives that came down to the job site to check out the issues. They decided to take a few copings and see if they were repairable and being a truck the next day to pick the rest up . Once they got back to their office they found that they could repair them by hand, so they offered to come back the next week with a crew to fix them. They brought a few replacements in case some weren’t able to be fixed. Worked out perfect and saved us weeks and weeks of waiting on new ones to be made. Very happy with how Stepstone handled the issues and our salesman (Pathway Melrose) was AMAZING. If it wasn’t for him I don’t know if they would have been repaired. So crisis was taken care of.

Going forward, our largest issue that worries me is tile. Our tile is going to be very hard to install. So fingers are crossed it turns out okay.

I am SO happy they were able to fix them!! SCORE for them even caring enough to try!

Have lots of drink like water and Gatorade in a cooler for them. Maybe have some yummies out for them as well to make them extra happy. Happy=extra careful work most times so worth a try!

Stepstone is top-notch...product and company...which is why so many architects spec it out for both residential and commercial projects. Not the cheapest option but at least you actually get something for your $ which isn't always the case.

Stepstone is top-notch...product and company...which is why so many architects spec it out for both residential and commercial projects. Not the cheapest option but at least you actually get something for your $ which isn't always the case.

Yeah, i found them when researching pavers on Instagram. Most of my favorite designers used them in their projects, so I just searched and searched for good pricing. I believe our cost for 12x24 were $11 a piece, which was a lot cheaper than other options I was also considering (Artsian and Concrete Collabrative). And my crew has been very satisfied with the quality. Our stair treads are insane. They had to use a wheelbarrow just to move one!

No movement on pool, the crew worked on our smaller retaining wall and built in bench. Also had to dig footers for our patio cover. Hoping on Wednesday to get pool inspected for it being bonded and some wall inspections. Then we should be moving closer to tiling. My kids are praying it will be ready for the Last Day Of School. Fingers crossed

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.