Getting started! Owner Build in SoCal

Rain is rolling in fast and our inspection of rebar and plumbing is scheduled for mid morning. We decided to hire someone to do a flash of shotcrete to help save the integrity of the pool and bought tarp and wood and anything else to keep this pool okay during the rains.

They are here already working on the flash, which seems to be a guy hand throwing plastic cement against the walls of the pool. Hope this works. Good things about adding it this way is that it’s not considered shotcrete (our city requires an inspector when applying) and it should keep the 3 inch spacing required for inspection.

I can’t wait to have this pool done! We also ordered our pavers and coping (finally). Ordered it with StepStone (we went with them bec we wanted a square coping but we have a curve and need the square pieces in a radius cut. Seems like most people just do pour in place but we really wanted pavers/coping). Got the very very best price in town with Pathway Melrose in Los Angeles (only a one guy shop, and Steve is amazing). He specializes in just Arto (local tile and paver company that makes pool tile and handmade ceramics) and StepStone pavers. Cheaper than what my contractor could get it for. Highly recommend to anyone looking.

We passed inspection!!!!

Wanted to give a huge shout out to our rebar company that came last minute when our original company canceled. They worked nonstop and even had to hand dig errors from the excavator. And they just followed up to make sure everything was okay with the inspection. Anyone needing rebar in Southern California (Riverside/OC/LA) let me know and I can pass on his info.

So, the sun is our bit rain is coming tonight. Shotcrete could not come besides the flash. So we are covering and praying. Attaching picture to show what it looks like with ALL the rebar, plumbing, and flash.

Attachments

• 9CA65791-78F8-41E6-B008-571133430F1F.jpeg
    9CA65791-78F8-41E6-B008-571133430F1F.jpeg
    889.1 KB · Views: 79
So, the rain has been insane. We tarped the whole pool, put wood up to support the tarp, tarped the piles of dirt and the areas of runoff from our house, brought in pumps to the holes made by the plumber, and pretty much spent the whole weekend outside completely overwhelmed. We have some expected rain tonight then a break until Tuesday evening, which then will bring in about 5 days of rain. Our goal is to allow it to dry Monday and has shotcrete come in Tuesday morning to get this going before the new storm.

Some water got into the pool through holes in the tarp. But I think we kept it pretty dry considering the 1.5 inches of rain we received.

Attachments

• E7743195-0BC1-4071-B2CF-17BD3735E836.jpeg
    E7743195-0BC1-4071-B2CF-17BD3735E836.jpeg
    511.4 KB · Views: 64
We passed inspection!!!!

Wanted to give a huge shout out to our rebar company that came last minute when our original company canceled. They worked nonstop and even had to hand dig errors from the excavator. And they just followed up to make sure everything was okay with the inspection. Anyone needing rebar in Southern California (Riverside/OC/LA) let me know and I can pass on his info.

So, the sun is our bit rain is coming tonight. Shotcrete could not come besides the flash. So we are covering and praying. Attaching picture to show what it looks like with ALL the rebar, plumbing, and flash.

Can you send me the rebar companys contact. [email protected] THX

Shotcrete day!! The crew is here and getting all set up. We have a break in the rain and expected to get more later afternoon/early evening, so fingers crossed this gets finished in time. So excited for this. Going to attach the interior pool details my husband created last night.

? Shotcrete ?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    333.6 KB · Views: 44

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Shotcrete is just about to pack up, and it feels like a huge weight is off our shoulders. Rain drops started about an hour ago, and then stopped, but the dark clouds are quickly rolling in. It feels amazing knowing that we no longer have to worry about it getting wet! ?.

Can’t thank everyone enough for feedback and tips, if you look closely Kim- you’ll see a finger ledge on that bond beam. One huge hurdle down, only a million more to go.

Attachments

• BD2A338C-711D-4E99-8DE1-4E743C8F1C3A.jpeg
    BD2A338C-711D-4E99-8DE1-4E743C8F1C3A.jpeg
    773.4 KB · Views: 84
I see it! I see my finger ledge! They did a great job with it!!!

Do you know what time it is??? It is time for YOUR OWN SET OF LINKS!!!!

Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Trouble Free Pool

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Ask your PB what test kit he will be providing. Let us know so we can fill in any holes! WAIT that is YOU LOL Time to think about ordering your test kit. Look in my siggy below for the one I think is the best bang for the buck!

Kim:kim:

Any feedback on shotcrete. Noticing 3 issues:

1. There seems to be white mold growing in numerous areas. Is this a concern? Treatment?

2. We have a pretty large fracture in the spa bench. Is this large enough to be an issue?

3. The spa step is very small. Once the coping is added it won’t be large enough for two feet to fit on it. Is this fixable? And if so, is it worth it to fix?

We are owner builders and don’t have a pool builder to discuss this with. Our shotcrete guy did agree to come by on Sunday to look it over but would like some feedback from anyone here too.

Thanks

Attachments

• 9B1EA46C-F856-4F2C-90E7-184C67A6042F.jpeg
    9B1EA46C-F856-4F2C-90E7-184C67A6042F.jpeg
    668.4 KB · Views: 72
  • 1ECE2277-E7BB-493F-AC6F-EA0D6A070A9C.jpeg
    1ECE2277-E7BB-493F-AC6F-EA0D6A070A9C.jpeg
    703.4 KB · Views: 72
  • A1C19CC6-242E-434D-8B24-20BED1309BC0.jpeg
    A1C19CC6-242E-434D-8B24-20BED1309BC0.jpeg
    800.7 KB · Views: 71
  • 0918EFCA-D1AD-4B62-8986-FB90FC410375.jpeg
    0918EFCA-D1AD-4B62-8986-FB90FC410375.jpeg
    826.5 KB · Views: 71
The white is efflorescence and is somewhat expected especially considering the moisture in the ground when the pool was shot.

The spa seat is not structural so that shouldn't be a concern. Some shrinkage cracks are too be expected.

The step can be changed if you choose to do so.

Yup re: Brian...my only additional comment would be re: the step.

I'd test it out the step a bunch right now. Maybe put something about the same height as your coping (or a coping sample if you have one) on and test out what it feels like.

Do you expect people to walk in like they would down steps? If so, maybe it isn't a big deal that the first step would be tight for two feet? I dunno.

Iit isn't a big deal for them to change it. My PB messed up and didn't add a bench along the weir wall to the spa and had to bring the shotcrete crew back to do that...they just pounded some steel in, framed the bench out with some more steel and shot. You could consider just squaring the step if you want to make it a bit more comfortable. If you do that, I'd recommend squaring the bench along that right side too. That's actually what I did in my pool fwiw:

img_5249-jpg.89981

Thank you everyone. The feedback was nice to allow me one or two less things to stress about.

Our coping takes about 4 weeks to receive (precast), so the crew is working on hardscape while we wait. Plumber just got me the list of equipment to order and I’m going to post it for feedback. Additionally, I’ve heard it is a cost savings to order with Polytec Pools in Vegas but I’m concerned with warranty issues. Someone mentioned that on the boxes it clearly states warranty is voided if purchased online. Anyone know if this is the same? Saving on sales tax would be helpful when spending $15k but I need a warranty!

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• F8054DED-6BD9-4442-8CA8-91E71E9B74B8.jpeg
    F8054DED-6BD9-4442-8CA8-91E71E9B74B8.jpeg
    137.9 KB · Views: 33
  • D84AC69C-B7FC-4733-9E92-77E10FDD0379.jpeg
    D84AC69C-B7FC-4733-9E92-77E10FDD0379.jpeg
    115.8 KB · Views: 33
Delete the backwash valve. You do not need it with the Quad filter and they don't backwash well anyway.

You have the Easytouch/IC60 bundle listed as well as the intelliTouch, you do not need both. You will be fine with the ET/IC60 so dump the Intellitouch.

2 valve actuators are listed but 2 already come with the EasyTouch. Check with your plumber to see if two additional are needed.

I HIGHLY recommend changing your heater to the RayPak 406A instead of the MasterTemp listed.

As for warranty, so long as the plumber is licensed that installs the equipment then it shouldn't matter where it was purchased. I have bought from PolyTech for several years now since their pricing without tax is less than wholesale California pricing from PEP and SCP.

4 pumps?!?!?

Why are you mixing Globrites with Microbrites?

Last edited:
Reactions: kimkats

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.