Getting Started - FL

May 5, 2018
Central Florida
Finally taking the plunge. After a tremendously long search - 9 different PBs - we found one that we can trust and is good in communication. They’ve built 4 pools in our community and have been recommended (unprompted!).

Design should arrive today. Well the 1st design anyway.

Basics we have covered/agreed to decided on that are “musts” for us:

325 sq ft pool. We have a small lot.

- Paver deck.
- Footers for lanai but not doing lanai during this build. Will see how nonscreen goes for us and add if we think it’s necessary in the future.
- My yard slopes 7 degrees towards the house over a 6’ distance from the back of the lot, so no matter what a small retaining wall is required on the back of the pool. With that cost already a guarantee, a waterfall (I think the formal name is something else) will go in since I’m paying for the wall anyway.
- SWG
- sunshelf
- the ‘boss’ wants planters in the pool deck
- 3.5-6’ depth (I want 5’ but boss says 6’)

Waiting on my HOA to see if we can access my yard through HOA area. Otherwise this will have to be a shuttle dig costing extra $$ (boo)

So what am I not thinking of in terms of design and if you could do something different after the fact what would it be?

Thanks in advance. I’ve read so much on here the past 2 years and value your collective thoughts :)

Got first draft today:

This design:
25’x12’
11K gallons
Sun shelf is and additional 45 sq ft
890 sq ft concrete brick paver decking

2 Jandy Nichless LED lights
24” waterfall on the required wall
WetEdge Signature

As mentioned in first post, I have to have the retaining wall in the back.

We asked about extending to 28’ long making the right side 4’ wide from pool to edge of deck instead of the 7’ that’s there. This however introduces a issue with the sunshelf and waterfall being centered on my covered patio.

I also asked what type of equipment as recommended above. Waiting to hear back on that hopefully tomorrow am.

37ADE308-10CB-486E-973F-694EAE994C8C.jpg

0EE185F0-1CCC-42DA-BA16-A2DCCC312D70.jpg

Attachments

• E2AACC4B-29FE-4B91-8D4F-B03D80BD4A1E.jpg
    E2AACC4B-29FE-4B91-8D4F-B03D80BD4A1E.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:
Oh that’s beautiful. I am coveting your sundeck!

I’m in Tampa, by the way. Howdy, neighbor!

Florida in the house!!!! HI!!! So glad you found us now!! Lets get this party started!!!

-DO extend it that extra. You will be glad you do as this will extend your shallow end and lessen the slope as it goes to the deep end.

-Keep the waterfall and tanning ledge right where they are. It will not really matter if both side are the same length. It WILL matter if the ledge and fall are not centered with your patio.

-How deep will you shelf be?

Here is my first "spending of your $$": 24" Colorfalls Blue Lighted Waterfall (24 inches wide) from Atlantic There are others so do a search to find your best price and material.

I would love to see a pic of where this wonderful pool is going!!

Kim:kim:

It’s been some time and let’s get up to speed..

Work makes me travel quite a bit so during the past 3 weeks I wanted to do my homework while being all over the place and get one last bid for comparison sake.

4 years ago I toyed with the idea to build and I asked the previous PB who sent a bid to get me a new bid for 2018. If you’re standing.. sit. His bid price went up 47% since 2014 - without a pebble finish, a smaller raised beam (12” instead of 24”) and less deck space.

Needless to say we found a winner and based on recommendations here and everywhere else keeping the large amount of deck space the way it was proposed.

Next weekend I get to take out my patio/fire pit and reroute sprinkler lines since every single zone goes right through the pool deck. I plan on keeping the pavers to make a walkway to the back from the driveway once construction is finished.

Ill try try to get a bigger photo of the backyard but this is what I have for now from when I put in a small patio and fire pit (I was bored and that gets dangerous).

EA8EF6B7-9EC3-4E77-98D9-FFC49D8E1556.jpg

Initial equipment is all Jandy. We are having footers for the lanai put in but not getting a screen right away. Want to see how it is without it at first.

My big debate currently is do I go with a SWG now or add later.

#1 lesson so far? Don’t let the Mrs look here cause there are soooo many ideas lol ($$$)

I’ll also update my signature and am planning on testing my full waters PH before I order the tfp tests.

Any recommendations for what to use to use inside the planters? I think Red Lava Rock would be a safe bet so I don’t get a ton of junk in the pool after every rain. And speaking of rain, we’ve had a ton of it.

SWG now...............you will thank me! Make sure to follow the plumping "rules" as far as length of pipe in front of and behind the SWG.

Inside the planters-nope on the red lava rocks-they float!!! White marble chips or big river rocks OR glass rocks!!! BLING!

Kim:Kim:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It’s been some time and let’s get up to speed..

Work makes me travel quite a bit so during the past 3 weeks I wanted to do my homework while being all over the place and get one last bid for comparison sake.

4 years ago I toyed with the idea to build and I asked the previous PB who sent a bid to get me a new bid for 2018. If you’re standing.. sit. His bid price went up 47% since 2014 - without a pebble finish, a smaller raised beam (12” instead of 24”) and less deck space.

Needless to say we found a winner and based on recommendations here and everywhere else keeping the large amount of deck space the way it was proposed.

Next weekend I get to take out my patio/fire pit and reroute sprinkler lines since every single zone goes right through the pool deck. I plan on keeping the pavers to make a walkway to the back from the driveway once construction is finished.

Ill try try to get a bigger photo of the backyard but this is what I have for now from when I put in a small patio and fire pit (I was bored and that gets dangerous).

View attachment 78648

Initial equipment is all Jandy. We are having footers for the lanai put in but not getting a screen right away. Want to see how it is without it at first.

My big debate currently is do I go with a SWG now or add later.

#1 lesson so far? Don’t let the Mrs look here cause there are soooo many ideas lol ($$$)

I’ll also update my signature and am planning on testing my full waters PH before I order the tfp tests.

Any recommendations for what to use to use inside the planters? I think Red Lava Rock would be a safe bet so I don’t get a ton of junk in the pool after every rain. And speaking of rain, we’ve had a ton of it.

Good idea in getting footers installed. Get as much deck space as possible. You will thank me. You will be quite surprised how much room a couple of lounge chairs, table with 4 patio chairs and floats take up. Measure everything. We have 1800 sq ft of pavers and wish we had an extra 400 sq ft.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.