Getting shocked outside of pool and in spa...

Gettingshocked

Oct 16, 2021
Ocean Grove, Victoria
Hello.

We're currently on holiday staying in an AirBnb property. My wife wanted me to choose a place that at least had a spa, so was very happy when I found one with both a pool and spa.

Shortly after arriving we turned on the spa and hopped in. My 5yo son kept saying something was stinging him in the spa water. I couldn't see any cause though so didn't know what to make of it... My wife, daughter and I couldn't feel any stinging. We hopped out though and later my daughter and I went in the seperate pool. I then hopped out and noticed that while standing dripping wet on the concrete surrounding the pool that I was getting a prickly stinging sensational up and down my legs. I thought it was strange, but again didn't know what to make of it.

Later on, I checked the spa to see if it was warming up and felt a more intense prickly stinging sensation than what I had felt earlier. I tried it with the other hand and instantly felt the same sensation and started to think that maybe it was an electric shock I was feeling. I realised I had been standing with bare feet on concrete while touching the water in the spa when I felt the stinging, so tried touching the water again while standing on the wood deck and I didn't get that prickly stinging sensation. I thought it safest to turn the spa off at the outlet and after doing so felt no shock by touching the water, which confirms for me that it was an electric shock.

The pool and spa are separate and about 30' away from each other. If the water in the spa is shocking people, I'm not sure why I would have been feeling that prickly stinging sensation while standing next to the pool.

It's only a short holiday and I don't know much about electricity. Can anyone offer any insight into what might be going on here and if it is safe for us to continue to use the pool and spa?

Thank you in advance!!

Last edited:
The pool has a bonding problem that is letting you get shocked by stray voltage in the pool area.

We can’t tell you it is 100% safe. You should never get shocked if the pool and spa is properly constructed and bonded even if stray electrical currents are around.

I would report it to the owner and Airbnb as a safety issue. Nothing you can do about it other then stay out of the pool and spa.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.