Getting close to the end of my fist SLAM...I think

LHK

Silver Supporter
Jun 11, 2020
Cincinnati, OH
So I got my test kit to start a proper SLAM a week and a half ago. I've been testing and adding chlorine about 6x per day. Also vacuuming every day with the exception of the past 2 days when I couldn't see any algae on the floor, and then I just brushed instead. I've also been brushing the pool when I add chlorine, sometimes very thoroughly, sometimes just 10-20 brushes to get things mixed up, depending on how much times I have. I have taken the light out, cleaned inside the niche and I did vacuum the day after that. I can see the algae "poof" up when I brush, but that's been improving and sometimes nothing builds up between additions of chlorine. My numbers are progressively getting closer so that I'm usually adding less chlorine each time. So I thought I was making good progress.

This morning I checked the pool and the water is very clear - as clear as it has been since I started. But there are piles of algae along the liner creases now. I haven't seen these piles for 2 days. Is this just how it goes sometimes or am I backsliding?

FC 11 this morning (SLAM goal of 16)
CC 0
CYA 40

Thanks for your help!

Laura

Thanks for the encouragement!

As an update, I don't think my pool volume has been correct this whole time. When we moved in last year we were told it was about 13K Gal. Tests for the last few days have been hanging out around 11-13 ppm FC when I check. I add chlorine, assume it made it up to 16, then test agian and it's back to 11-13. So this morning I tested, FC is 11, I added the recommended amount of chlorine, vacuumed (took about 30 mins) and retested. It was 13. So I added more chlorine, brush the pool, and test again, FC is 14. I added 2 more cups chlorine and let it go for an hour to let it mix in. Most recent test was 16, which is the first time I have seen this number. So apparently I need to do some calculations to get a more accurate pool volume and I imagine I've dragged this SLAM out longer than it had to be if I was only hitting 13-14 ppm once I added chlorine.

I think I've been doing the OCLT every night already - I check it when the sun goes down, add chlorine (assuming it was going up to 16) and checking again in the morning. Given my recent discovery, I will be sure to add chlorine, test agin, and use that as my last number.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.