Lancaster county PA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-30
Ok so we had a couple over for a pool party. later that night I got a text that he had what looked like mosquito bites on his legs. Apparently I'm being blamed for swimmer's itch. I never even heard of it before. No one has had any issues in my pool so I'm seeking input.

He thinks it is swimmers itch, you think it is mosquito bites. You will never know for sure.

If he comes over again for another pool party have some bug spray he can put on.

My wife has a body chemistry and blood type that attracts bug bites. I can be out with her and she gets all bitten up if she does not use bug repellant while they don't bother me at all.

I would not stress over it.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Post a full set of test results from one of tbe recommended test kits.
Test Kits Compared

Fill out your signature with pool, pool equipment (including manufacturers and model numbers) and test kit info.
This will assist us in providing you help without us needing to ask each time.

Chances are it is as @ajw22 says.... mosquito bites.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Simply respond to the person with this -

Is it safe to swim in my swimming pool?​

Yes. As long as your swimming pool is well maintained and chlorinated, there is no risk of swimmer’s itch. The appropriate snails must be present in order for swimmer’s itch to occur.

Swimmer's itch is not possible in a chlorinated swimming pool as it requires the mollusk to be present in order for the cercariae to be present in the water. Snails can't live in chlorinated pool water.

Have you recently found large groups of snails partying in your pool?

🙋‍♂️

I wouldn't push it. You aren't going to convince them you didn't cause it, no matter what and will only escalate any bad feelings.

If you have a Talyor based test kit and test daily, tell them you have a far above average regimen and after that, let it go.

If the person frequents fresh water recreational sites such as lakes or rivers, then it is easy for them to acquire the cercariae from those sources. The cercariae immediately embedded themselves into human skin and then die from the human immune response. The dead parasite is then flushed out of the body by the formation of raised papules (red bumps).

Your pool water did not cause this. They are most likely mosquito bites.

🙋‍♂️

I wouldn't push it. You aren't going to convince them you didn't cause it, no matter what and will only escalate any bad feelings.

If you have a Talyor based test kit and test daily, tell them you have a far above average regimen and after that, let it go.

Simply respond to the person with this -

Swimmer's itch is not possible in a chlorinated swimming pool as it requires the mollusk to be present in order for the cercariae to be present in the water. Snails can't live in chlorinated pool water.

Have you recently found large groups of snails partying in your pool?
Lol my pool is semi-inground with a deck around it must have been athletic snails. Thanks 👍

Reactions: JoyfulNoise

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
How did your water look at the time? What was your FC level?
My water always looks perfect. It's why I'm feeling a certain kind of way about this. His issue could very well be chiggers since he was fishing the night before in the woods and the marks look the same.

Reactions: JoyfulNoise
His issue could very well be chiggers since he was fishing the night before in the woods and the marks look the same
Again. They will never fault themselves. Even if they have to see a Dr for chiggers treatment when it doesn't go away, the chiggers came from your house. People suck like that. :ROFLMAO:

It might be due to many different factors.

Maybe poison ivy, maybe a bad reaction to new socks, maybe a lotion they used, maybe something they ate, maybe insects, maybe hives, maybe a lot of things.

Did you actually see the legs?

Was there a pattern to the rash, like did it stop at a specific line?

Do they have anything to support one hypothesis vs. any other hypothesis?

If your pool tests look good I’d mention that to him. Did anyone else have this issue?
If he used Dr Google - that can be a slippery slope

Just admit it was a swimmer rash……and your pool is likely gonna do it to them every time! Maybe they’ll leave you alone.

Ya, I’m what one would call an introvert
Lonely Loser GIF by Travis

Just admit it was a swimmer rash……and your pool is likely gonna do it to them every time! Maybe they’ll leave you alone.
And, maybe they will sue you for causing an injury.

The rash has turned into flesh eating bacteria and chronic fatigue syndrome and they have to stay in bed and they cannot return to work ever, and it’s all your fault.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.