Getting all my gear together - am I forgetting something important?

Ooona

May 23, 2022
Brooklyn, NY
Hi everyone!
I am very new at this, so please excuse my lack of knowledge here :)
I recently purchased a small AGP which I plan on setting up in my Brooklyn yard as soon as I receive all the bits and bobs. It would be packed up for the winter.
This is my list, please feel free to weigh in / mock / advise / deride!!

Pool is a Bestway Powersteel 14' x 8'2" oval. The pool set includes: chemconnect dispenser, filter, filter pump, pool ladder, pool cover.
I've bought:

-Taylor K-2006 test kit
-Intex 28620EP Handheld Above Ground Swimming Pool Vacuum
-INTEX 26645EG SX2100 Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump
-Flowclear 15' Solar pool cover (I'll have to cut it down to an oval shape)
-Walmart brand bleach, 2 gallons
-Plastic measuring jug (2 cups / 600ml size)
-Blue Wave (Gorilla?) 15' round liner pad which I will cut to fit the 14 x 8 pool.

And I'm about to order:

-Transchem Muriatic acid 31%, 1 gallon
-Pool Mate pool stabilizer and conditioner, 4 lbs.
-Enough 2" x 10" x 10" pressure treated lumber to go under every leg, some longer bits for the 4 U shaped bars.

Do I need a pool cove?
Sand as it's all going on top of the lawn (which is still full of weeds)? How much would you recommend?
Roundup?
Some kind of solar heating mat or dome?

Thanks for any advice :)

Are all the wires on the left hand side of the picture low voltage telephone or CATV wires and not 120V AC lines?

pololo-jpg.415114

Reactions: AK-
Welcome to TFP!!

chemconnect dispenser
That is for Trichlor tablets.

Walmart brand bleach, 2 gallons
Some Great Value Bleach is splashless what may case foaming or bad odor when used consistently. Try to get 10% Chlorinating Liquid/Pool Shock, in NJ Walmart sells it at ~$4.80/gal. Two gallons is a start, but you gonna need more. Avoid stocking too much as is degrades rather quickly.

Transchem Muriatic acid 31%, 1 gallon
You may not even use it.

Enough 2" x 10" x 10" pressure treated lumber to go under every leg, some longer bits for the 4 U shaped bars.
Using wood is unusual. Most folks would use pavers/concrete blocks.

Do I need a pool cove?
No. Pool coves are for permanent AGPs made of steel/fiber.

Sand as it's all going on top of the lawn (which is still full of weeds)? How much would you recommend?
Just enough to hide imperfections. Your pad should prevent weed from growing back.

Yes. Be careful applying it.

Depends on how much sun you get. Less than 8hours is like a waste of money.

Are all the wires on the left hand side of the picture low voltage telephone or CATV wires and not 120V AC lines?
That is very important. AC lines above a pool can get someone killed.

That's right, cable and I have to double check but I think Spectrum.

I also see shadows of wires in the rear.

Utility power lines that run over a pool or spa must be at least 22.5 feet above the water level.

Reactions: Newdude
You need a pool brush, a vacuum, and a telescoping pole for cleaning the pool. I highly recommend the WaterTech Pool Blaster. I've had one for 3 yrs, and its great. It's battery operated, goes on your telescoping pole, no hoses to contend with..

Either a ladder or steps for the deck -- that ladder which comes with the kit is a wobbly, non-sturdy joke.

Something to consider -- a real pump and filter. That diddly one that comes with the pool is a joke. I happen to have a pump and sand filter for sale in this link

Let me know what you think. You can use the hoses from your kit to plumb it. I ran my 14x48 round AGP for 3 years off it with zero problems. I upgraded this to 1 hp pump and a 19 inch sand filter this year, otherwise I'd still have it running.

Another thing to consider is an extra set of hoses. These corrugated hoses spring leaks when you least expect it, and having a spare set to swap in is a life saver!

Good luck and welcome to TF!! :wave:

Last edited:
Reactions: Ooona and Decoy205

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I also see shadows of wires in the rear.

Utility power lines that run over a pool or spa must be at least 22.5 feet above the water level.
We don't really know what the ones in the back are, it's a major problem in Brooklyn back yards. No one wants to be liable so even though they're mostly dead phone lines, we'll never know as no one will touch them. Unfortunately they are only about 12 feet above where the pool would be. However, they aren't directly on top, rather around 6 feet away. I think I'm going to place the pool further away from the back wall, I don't want to fry my family.

Welcome to TFP!!

That is for Trichlor tablets.

Some Great Value Bleach is splashless what may case foaming or bad odor when used consistently. Try to get 10% Chlorinating Liquid/Pool Shock, in NJ Walmart sells it at ~$4.80/gal. Two gallons is a start, but you gonna need more. Avoid stocking too much as is degrades rather quickly.

You may not even use it.

Using wood is unusual. Most folks would use pavers/concrete blocks.

No. Pool coves are for permanent AGPs made of steel/fiber.

Just enough to hide imperfections. Your pad should prevent weed from growing back.

Yes. Be careful applying it.

Depends on how much sun you get. Less than 8hours is like a waste of money.

That is very important. AC lines above a pool can get someone killed.
Super helpful, thanks so much @AK- !!

Something I'm shocked (heh) no one else mentioned is, do you have a power source near where you're planning to set up? The pump needs power, and so will a robot...

And a source of water?
Very good point! The yard does have a water outlet with a hose attached, a drain in the ground in the concrete section, and also a covered wall socket where I can plug two things. I've gotten a 50 foot hose and a good extension for the cables.

Also! Thanks for your advice earlier- I did purchase a new, bigger and better filter pump for the pool than the one it includes. It is the Intex 26645EG SX2100 Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump. For vacuuming I got an Intex 28620EP Handheld which comes with the brush and telescopic pole. I'm going to order the extra set of hoses as you recommended, and look into another ladder!

I've gotten a 50 foot hose and a good extension for the cables.
Pools and extension cords don't mix well together.

Perhaps try to use longer pool hoses to be able to put equipment closer to the outlet and plug directly on it.

Hi everyone!
I am very new at this, so please excuse my lack of knowledge here :)
I recently purchased a small AGP which I plan on setting up in my Brooklyn yard as soon as I receive all the bits and bobs. It would be packed up for the winter.
This is my list, please feel free to weigh in / mock / advise / deride!!

Pool is a Bestway Powersteel 14' x 8'2" oval. The pool set includes: chemconnect dispenser, filter, filter pump, pool ladder, pool cover.
I've bought:

-Taylor K-2006 test kit
-Intex 28620EP Handheld Above Ground Swimming Pool Vacuum
-INTEX 26645EG SX2100 Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump
-Flowclear 15' Solar pool cover (I'll have to cut it down to an oval shape)
-Walmart brand bleach, 2 gallons
-Plastic measuring jug (2 cups / 600ml size)
-Blue Wave (Gorilla?) 15' round liner pad which I will cut to fit the 14 x 8 pool.

And I'm about to order:

-Transchem Muriatic acid 31%, 1 gallon
-Pool Mate pool stabilizer and conditioner, 4 lbs.
-Enough 2" x 10" x 10" pressure treated lumber to go under every leg, some longer bits for the 4 U shaped bars.

Do I need a pool cove?
Roundup?

Thanks for any advice :)
My local pool store has me use pool shock instead of bleach or tabs. Your local pool store probably will test your water for free and make recommendations on the chemicals you need. We have really hard water where we are and I also need to adjust for that and the pH.

Reactions: Ooona
My local pool store has me use pool shock instead of bleach or tabs. Your local pool store probably will test your water for free and make recommendations on the chemicals you need. We have really hard water where we are and I also need to adjust for that and the pH.
Unfortunately the “free” pool store water testing is unlikely to be reliable (example: Pool Store Experiment Water Samples) and will invariably lead to expensive purchase of items you either don’t need or will outright do more harm than good. As an example of that harm is the suggests to use pool shock (usually Cal-Hypo) instead of bleach when you already have hard water that will bring your CH through the roof and will eventually require a drain/refill.

If you follow TFPC, doing your own testing and using Bleach on daily basis (or an SWG) instead of pool store potions you won’t have nearly as many issues with your pool and will save quite some money in the process.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wobblerlorri
You need a pool brush, a vacuum, and a telescoping pole for cleaning the pool. I highly recommend the WaterTech Pool Blaster. I've had one for 3 yrs, and its great. It's battery operated, goes on your telescoping pole, no hoses to contend with..

Either a ladder or steps for the deck -- that ladder which comes with the kit is a wobbly, non-sturdy joke.

Something to consider -- a real pump and filter. That diddly one that comes with the pool is a joke. I happen to have a pump and sand filter for sale in this link

Let me know what you think. You can use the hoses from your kit to plumb it. I ran my 14x48 round AGP for 3 years off it with zero problems. I upgraded this to 1 hp pump and a 19 inch sand filter this year, otherwise I'd still have it running.

Another thing to consider is an extra set of hoses. These corrugated hoses spring leaks when you least expect it, and having a spare set to swap in is a life saver!

Good luck and welcome to TF!! :wave:
I read that he has a sand filter I’m not certain of the size of it but he will also need a backwash hose or an area dedicated in order to backwash the sand filter. 😁 Just adding to yours.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.