Georgia Pool Build.... FIRED PB need advice please!!!

Re: Georgia Pool Build.... No Longer O/B :)

Did you ever get your plaster done? it's been several weeks right?

No! I'm beyond frustrated. The pebble and cement mix has been delivered to our yard now. They are assuring me that the pool will be completed this week, but I'll believe it when I see it. I took off of work next week and have my sister flying in from out of state to enjoy the pool for my son's last week of summer break.

The pool was originally to be completed 5 weeks ago!! When we mentioned it to the builder he got extremely defensive and verbally aggressive....saying the dates he gave us were "just words" and it's not in the contract. There has been very little rain to delay the job. Our pavers are 2/3 done. We still need the electric rough inspection, plaster, dirt for hill grading, sod and landscaping. I'm interested to see if they show up today.

To make it worse, they had asked for the money due after plaster before plaster ON JULY 1ST and I agreed. I was told that way the plaster crew would be able to do it that weekend. I just cannot wait until this is over.

No! I'm beyond frustrated. The pebble and cement mix has been delivered to our yard now. They are assuring me that the pool will be completed this week, but I'll believe it when I see it. I took off of work next week and have my sister flying in from out of state to enjoy the pool for my son's last week of summer break.

The pool was originally to be completed 5 weeks ago!! When we mentioned it to the builder he got extremely defensive and verbally aggressive....saying the dates he gave us were "just words" and it's not in the contract. There has been very little rain to delay the job. Our pavers are 2/3 done. We still need the electric rough inspection, plaster, dirt for hill grading, sod and landscaping. I'm interested to see if they show up today.

To make it worse, they had asked for the money due after plaster before plaster ON JULY 1ST and I agreed. I was told that way the plaster crew would be able to do it that weekend. I just cannot wait until this is over.

I am so very sorry to hear this. Not only because I can only imagine how frustrating that must be, but also as someone who works and manages in sales, it's awful to hear anyone say that anything is "just words". it's no wonder people get frustrated by those in sales :(

The money portion as well is ridiculous, it sounds like perhaps your pool builder is low on cash flow and couldn't start because he owed money and couldn't get it scheduled until he got some money flowing. I'm sorry :(

I hope it's done soon for you and your sister for your week off with your son.

:(

Look good to me, I too am starting my journey but I haven't got a design pinned down yet. I'll very likely end up with something like you've got but with the addition of a spa set-up 12" or so to spill-over into the pool. I do want a tanning ledge but hadn't thought of bubblers, that sounds pretty cool actually and I do agree with the ledge you don't need huge steps but I'd suggest a bench somewhere. Question, why 7' deep and how large of an area is that? Is it a gradual slope or transition ledge? My understanding is that's too shallow to dive and not really usable unless you play in the NBA. Just curious as I'm thinking 6'.

Mind sharing your builder?

Look good to me, I too am starting my journey but I haven't got a design pinned down yet. I'll very likely end up with something like you've got but with the addition of a spa set-up 12" or so to spill-over into the pool. I do want a tanning ledge but hadn't thought of bubblers, that sounds pretty cool actually and I do agree with the ledge you don't need huge steps but I'd suggest a bench somewhere. Question, why 7' deep and how large of an area is that? Is it a gradual slope or transition ledge? My understanding is that's too shallow to dive and not really usable unless you play in the NBA. Just curious as I'm thinking 6'.

Mind sharing your builder?

We went with 7' since it was no additional cost. Had we dug to 8' it would have been more money. We have a jump rock so I wanted it as deep as possible without an added expense.

I'll inbox you regarding my pool builder.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Well, I have pebble finally.....but, I also fired my PB (actually had to call the police). So, I've hired another stonescapes company to come do the acid wash tomorrow for $400. I'm worried about how things were left and how soon after filling the pool do I need the equipment running. I greatly appreciate any advice. I'm overwhelmed, but glad to have the PB gone. The things I've seen him do and heard him say I don't even feel comfortable typing.

We paid thousands ahead of the contract just trying to get the build finished. He was too in debt to order the equipment so they suggested that I order it myself ($5k worth) so at the point we made them leave I only owed $1449. According to contract I still should owe $5200 since pavers aren't sealed, sod isn't done and start-up/clean up hasn't happened. He and his 5 sons showed up after pebble was finished trying to bully us into the final payment. We refused and he started screaming profanities so loud that neighbors got involved.

I'm attaching pictures of what we're left with.

Salt cell MISSING generator (that I ordered and had delivered to my house) and cell not incorporated into equipment pad.

111 .jpg

Heater, not hooked up to the gas line.

11 .jpg

Equipment pad.

1111 .jpg

Control panel.

111111 .jpg

Light niches....missing covers. Not sure if they needed??

11111 .jpg

I'm so sorry, it's awful that anyone has to go through anything like this! Good for you though knowing your limit and saying enough is enough.

I hope you find a good contractor or pool company that can help you finish you up and take great care of you and your family :(

Just curious...the pic with the light niche shows a lot of exposed pebble as if an acid wash has already been done. Usually after applying the plaster but before the acid wash, hardly any exposed pebble is seen (plaster with pebble in it is trowled to a smooth finish). Then as the final step, the acid is sprayed or poured onto the plaster and takes away a thin layer of the surface plaster to expose the pebbles.

Sheree, that's an awful thing to have to go through, but you'll get through it. You cab obviously try to just sub out the work yourself, and with the help on this board likely get it accomplished quickly.

But here's another idea, it might help or not. If you have a good relationship with your bank, you might try calling them, explaining the situation and seeing if they have anybody they know of that has taken over pool builds for them. When I was building mine, I had a conversation with the bank(the loan officer specifically, who I've had a great relationship with for years), and he got me in touch with a guy who they knew had done some takeover type finishes.

The guy I spoke with had done 5 takeovers/finishes in the last year. Really nice guy. We discussed where I was, and we both agreed it was best to just get through my situation. But, the point is, there are guys out there that do this. You are not the first one to get sideways with a pool builder, and I doubt it's the first time your bank will have heard of either.

Regardless of your choice, ya'll will get through it.

From what I've read though, time is of the essence since the plaster is done, it needs water in it. I'm sure others with actual experience will chime in. How much of the electrical is done? How much of the equipment is plumbed in? Can you get power to a pump, and run the filter even if only manually? I'd think you could buy some time if you could get water in it and the pump/filter going?

Did I mention ya'll will get through it? You will!

First.......breath............we got ya! We CAN get you through this!

Okay you have the equipment so all is good and things will go smooth from here.

The acid wash people........They will know someone that can help you get the equipment finished. They all know each other and know who does good work.

Some questions to make sure we are all on the same page:

-Is there power to the control box?

-Is there wire run to the equipment pad?

As soon as they do the acid wash you need to start filling the pool. Here is a link to how to start up plaster (talk to the acid wash guys about when you can swim in the pool):

Pool School - Start-up New Plaster

NOW the hard part.......if there is no power to the pumps they cannot run SO you will need to find a way to move the water until you can get the pumps running. You can buy a sub pump for cheap at Harbor Freight or someone may have one you can barrow. You can and should set the sub pump up so it moves the water around the pool. When you add chemicals you should stir it up good with a straw broom with the sub pump running.

That will buy you some time to get the rest of the ducks in a row.

Do you have a test kit yet? If not look in my siggy to find the one you need. Until get the good one in you can get one of the cheap drops tests from Walmart. You need to be able to test:

-PH
-FC (free chlorine)
-TA (total alkalinity)

These are must have tests for starting up plaster. You will need the other tests soon but these three will get you through until the good test kit comes in.

Girl! I HATE this for you! How scary and sad........just think, you started out to do a OB then switched to him :( Do you have a restraining order against him and his family?

Let us know what you decide to do and how else we can help you!

:hug:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.