Geometric Houston pool

Thanks all. We are excited but are really looking forward to having our yard back once all of this is done. My husband has been watering the pool everyday - it takes a lot longer than we realized. Tell me why it's important to water it?

Needsdecaf, we are actually in Spring Branch. That was part of the issue in finding a PB - many of them were up north and I didn't get the sense they were enthused to travel our way.

Thanks all. We are excited but are really looking forward to having our yard back once all of this is done. My husband has been watering the pool everyday - it takes a lot longer than we realized. Tell me why it's important to water it?

Needsdecaf, we are actually in Spring Branch. That was part of the issue in finding a PB - many of them were up north and I didn't get the sense they were enthused to travel our way.

Gunnite, which is a form of concrete, cures over a period of time. That curing process generates heat, and that heat can dry out the concrete too quickly. If it dries out, it will crack and weaken.

Watering the gunnite keeps the temp down, and keeps the concrete from drying out.

congrats, aprilH. looking good so far.

Ok...I know you were laughing back earlier in my thread where I was amazed that plumbing wasn't too bad/messy. Ha! NOW we have mess. Tunnels of dirt, mud and pipes everywhere. I am really glad we didn't have the backyard landscaped before we moved in.

Pictures from today:

Equipment pad

Thanks to some sage advice here, I had them enlarge the pad in case we decide to add an acid injector later

Everything look ok?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Supposedly the pressure test was done. PB-substitute said it is 'standard' but he will verify tomorrow. My concern is this rapid drip from this piece of equipment.

If you look closely, you can see the water drop coming out of the joint. It's dripping at a pretty good pace. I can't figure out what the equipment is.

Thanks all for the compliments and feedback. We are pretty much at a standstill since our pb was out of town. He is back now so hopefully we can get going. While he was gone, DH and I went to two different pool tile stores in hopes of finalizing those selections but left more confused than ever. How does everyone make these big decisions with a tiny 12"x6" tile sample? And everything looks so different in the light and varying landscaping anyway. My head is spinning.

So our design looks like this

We were trying to chose glass tile for scupper wall and spa spillover. DH doesn't like too much variation in the tile colors so we found a nice blue iridescent blue tile with very little variation. But when we got the sample home, it was just ok. I feel like it needs more variation or else it just looks like a wall of blue. And to add to the confusion, now we are toying with the idea of leaving the scupper wall a light stone color (still tbd, of course)

contemporary-pool.jpg

But I dont know if that's a bad idea to do stone there with a salt pool.

There are too many decisions to make and not enough guidance. I'm hoping our PB will redeem himself now that he's back. Of course, I'd love anyone else feedback too. And just tell me it will be ok ?

How do you choose? Well I would suggest you go on pinterest or Houzz and find pictures you like - really look at them and see what it is about them that you like.

I have an iridescent blue glass tile on my spa, and it iridescence adds a lot of variation to the tile, you'll see burgundy, pink, greens reflecting depending on where you stand and the time of day. I found pictures don't tend to do an iridescent finish justice, which makes it hard to choose if you need the visual.

There is no issue doing stone with a salt pool as long as you know that you have to seal it every couple of years and are diligent about doing so.

Texas pools seem to be popular to use flagstone coping too, possibly because its an affordable material choice in that area.

The picture you posted I'm guessing for inspiration is very monotone. I went for a monotone look on my tile. How I chose mine was that I picked something first - in my case the coping because it was natural, and was subject variation, so I picked out a pallet at the stone store. Knew it needed to be sealed, so took a sealed sample to the tile store and matched it in color and character. Then I went around the tile stores with the sample and did the same thing for my wall tile around the spa. I also knew I wanted a pop of color, so to pick out my glass tile, I chose that against my already chosen samples.

There is no hard and fast rule, some people fall in love with a certain waterline tile and then match the coping to best compliment that tile. But if you have literally no idea where to start I think perhaps the best place to start might be the coping, its probably the most noticeable part of the pool from a distance and creates the most impact on the style of the pool because it represents the transition from your pool to your deck. In the picture above there is a travertine paver deck, and the look is virtually seamless which means choosing a travertine coping stone. So your choice of deck material will also carry into the decision.

Editing to add, if you want to see what a wall of blue iridescent tile looks like find cchopkins' long and skinny pool build thread. Or mine. Same tile, NPT Arctic Lagoon, cc's pool makes it look fantastic though, better than in mine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.