Gilbert, AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Noticed this T15 salt cell from Leslie's anyone have experience with it? I've seen a few generics online but always been concerned about the quality. I'm wondering if this one would be a better option. 1 year warranty is on the short side but even if I got 2 years at this price I'm even money. $900 for a Hayward cell is just stupid. $377.94 is pretty reasonable

Item: 81388
Manufacturer SKU: HC40GT15-1

Here is the link, below is snapshots.

1710430485957.png

1710430519792.png

Any time I see the Platinum Edition generic cell recommended, my spine shivers. All you have to do is google Salt Pool Store and add the words "reviews" or "scam" and you'll find out the warranty is worthless, the cell rarely makes it past one year, you have to return ship it to Australia, and you'll be lucky to get any money back in the form of a refund. For 10 years they having been ripping off customers yet folks are still drawn to their product by a super low price and a too good to be true warranty.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mdragger88
I would be weary of a totally no name cell with zero documentation on output/day or expected cell life in hours.
I have the pureline t15 replacement from inyopools which has a 2 year warranty, a higher output than the t15 (2.1# vs 1.47#)
& is currently about $100 more than the Leslies no name you linked.
During its first season the advertised output seems to be on point. The jury is out on longevity as I only have the one season under my belt.
I opted for this one over the circupool replacement due to the higher output (a t15 (40k gal) system is really too small for my 25k gal pool).
& The lower price point compared to the hayward oem considering my system is already quite old at 13 years & was a hand me down freebie.
It replaced an optum simple cell of which I am unsure how long was actually in operation.
When this goes I intend to pull the trigger on a properly sized 55/65k gal rated circupool system.

Reactions: Newdude
I have the pureline t15 replacement from inyopools which has a 2 year warranty, a higher output than the t15 (2.1# vs 1.47#)

Have you done any benchmarking to confirm the Pureline actually produces 2.1# vs 1.45#? That is a 45% increase in production which also means a 45% increase in current within the power supply unit which would likely put the control unit into overcurrent shutdown. It just doesn't seem likely they could accomplish that much of an increase without it impacting the current as well as the cell footprint.

I just noticed that their hours of production are less so:

2.1 / 24 * 7000 = 612.5 lbs
1.47 / 24 * 10000 = 612.5 lbs

Total lifetime production is the same. I am not sure why they have a higher production rate though as it doesn't seem physically possible.

Have you done any benchmarking to confirm the Pureline actually produces 2.1# vs 1.45#? That is a 45% increase in production which also means a 45% increase in current within the power supply unit which would likely put the control unit into overcurrent shutdown. It just doesn't seem likely they could accomplish that much of an increase without it impacting the current as well as the cell footprint.
Only via pool math calculations. (Comparing estimated output to actual overnight increase)
My controller is quite old so the potentiometer knob is a bit wonky as well which makes a super accurate assessment impossible. The % likes to jump around.
At the time of purchase the pureline unit was cheaper than the circupool as well.
If my controller outlives this cell I would be surprised 😂 so the 7k hr life at a discount was ok by me. (They did used to sell a 10k hr unit but have discontinued it)
Overall I am happy with my purchase for my particular situation at the time.
We’ll see how this season fares.
They are both good options depending upon what you’re looking for if you’re wanting to go generic.
Mainly mentioning the higher output option due to the op’s pool size.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support