Gold Supporter
Jan 28, 2018
North/Texas
Current:
Pool temp 55.
FC 2
CYA 180-200
salt: 3400

The pool calc suggests SWG minimum FC of 8 with my current high CYA (input of180).

I know I need to bring my CYA down to 70-80 by replacing 50% of my water (11.5K gallons) My water company says I should wait until 1 April to empty 1/2 of my pool to refill. Because if I replace my water before then, it will raise my sewage rate after April for the rest of 2018. They will not waive the sewage fee.

So my question is, should I bring up my FC to 8 to recommended levels to prevent an algae bloom (if water temp increases this month) or do you think I would be fine leaving as is until I replace my water 1 April. ??

*Note: My SWG is not on right now due to low water temp.

You should raise your FC to the minimum level needed for a manually chlorinated pool since your SWG is not running. That means a minimum FC of 13.5ppm. You could use the lower SWG value but only if you are very careful to stay on top of your FC measurements and keep the FC consistent.

Have you done an OCLT yet? You really should to make sure that nothing is growing.

I totally understand your situation with the water company. Ours is the same - Jan/Feb/Mar are the three months they use to baseline the sewerage fee with. I have to drain and refill my 16k gallon pool and I'm waiting until after my April reading to make sure I don't kill myself with a sewer fee. A few years back I had a water leak in March and my water bill skyrocketed that month. It raised my baseline usage by several CCFs and I wound up paying for that mistake for the rest of that year as my water company would not recalculate the fee (they were willing to credit me for the excess water usage but they would not change the sewerage fee). So yeah, best to wait for them to finish their readings and then fill the pool.

What test kit are you using? You need the DPD-FAS chlorine test found in a Taylor K-2006 or TF-100 from TFTestKits.net The DPD-FAS uses a powdered DPD reagent and FAS titrating drops that is capable of testing FC all the way up to 50ppm.

I am using the Taylor K-2006. But awhile last year the powdered chlorine went bad, so I switched to the drop (r-0001,r-0002,r-0003) test. My test tube only goes up to 5 (free test tube from pool store last year). so, this is why I am ISO something that tells me up to 15 or so based on my current needs. :( *note I do have "Aquachek 7" test strips. its FC goes up to 20. (0, .5, 1,3,5,10,20) so it doesn't provide any middle ground when it comes to readings between 10 & 20. The color is a deep purple and hard to dis cipher at that those levels.

You need to reorder reagents (R-0870 powder and, if you need them, R-0871 FAS drops). You can’t properly maintain shock levels of FC without that test kit. TFTestKit.net is currently running their reagent Spring sale. You could probably my get it shipped quickest from them.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.