Gas Heater Recommendations

Jul 18, 2015
Zeeland MI
Hoping to get some recommendations on a heater for an upcoming build I have. Specifically, one that fits the bill for the following (I am aware some info may be irrelevant for a heater). I am also curious if this is an easy add on after the fact if I know a plumber. I am not keen on buying from my builder because of their upcharge on the heaters. I was just going to have them leave some room on the pad for one in the "future".
- 16x30 rectangle vinyl pool
- Intelliflo pump
- EasyTouch 4 with Screenlogic2
- 24" sand filter
- Located in Michigan
- Heating up quickly is not too important to me. If I can have a lower BTU heater that is more efficient I would be happier with that
Let me know if you need other information in order to make a recommendation.

Also, one last side question. Is a heater the main source of water temperature information for an EasyTouch? Or is there a temp probe in the intelliflo pump or something?

- Heating up quickly is not too important to me. If I can have a lower BTU heater that is more efficient I would be happier with that

Also, one last side question. Is a heater the main source of water temperature information for an EasyTouch? Or is there a temp probe in the intelliflo pump or something?
I use a Pentair 300 just for my spa. My pool is too big to heat. The 300 might work for you.

A temperature probe is inserted into a hole you drill into the pipe which supplies the filter, and secured with a clamp. The probe is wired back to the ET.

Last edited:
Hoping to get some recommendations on a heater for an upcoming build I have. Specifically, one that fits the bill for the following (I am aware some info may be irrelevant for a heater). I am also curious if this is an easy add on after the fact if I know a plumber. I am not keen on buying from my builder because of their upcharge on the heaters. I was just going to have them leave some room on the pad for one in the "future".
- 16x30 rectangle vinyl pool
- Intelliflo pump
- EasyTouch 4 with Screenlogic2
- 24" sand filter
- Located in Michigan
Let me know if you need other information in order to make a recommendation.

You have natural gas or propane?

How many gallons in your pool?

What months of the year do you want to heat your pool?

If you can talk to the plumber who is installing your equipment you can plan where the heater will be and plumb a loop with PVC so the pipes reach out to where the heater will be and then cut the loop and connect up the heater in and out pipes. Plus the gas and electric.

ET just controls heater on/off.

ET comes with a temperature probe that is inserted into the PVC to tell it the water temperature.

Ajw. We have natural gas. Pool size will be around 21,000 according to a calculator I used. I would estimate We plan on using it mid May into June and September to early October. And probably little bits on cold days in the summer.

Rocket. Based on the charts for those heaters it almost seems like I could use a pentair 200. I might be limited with the amount of BTU’s I can supply the heater with. We have a 1” steel gas line that would be about a 90’ run

A lower BTU heater is not more efficient. A NG heater converts BTUs in the NG to heat in the water. If anything, a larger NG heater is a bit more efficient then a smaller one that needs to run longer for the same heat rise.

Get the largest NG heater your gas line can support. If you can run a 400K BTU heater then get it. A 400K heater will raise a 21K pool by around 2 degrees an hour.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.