Gas Heater, Heat Pump & Chiller?

Faithers03

Feb 12, 2017
Saint Petersburg fl
I am getting ready to build a pool. I have selected my builder but the problem is I spoke with a couple different builders and of course they all had different recommendations. We are in the Tampa Bay area of Florida. Our pool will get sun almost all day, no shade unless we add canopies. It will be about 25,000 gallons plus a hot tub. I think we want a gas heater for the hot tub so that it will heat up quickly and then a heat pump with chiller for the pool. We want to swim year round. Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this. I can't seem to find many people who have a gas heater and heat pump.

ajw22

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 21, 2013
Northern NJ
Welcome to TFP.

I have seen a few folks here discuss having a gas heater and an electric heat pump.

What automation do you plan to use to control both heaters?

Faithers03

Feb 12, 2017
Saint Petersburg fl
Welcome to TFP.

I have seen a few folks here discuss having a gas heater and an electric heat pump.

What automation do you plan to use to control both heaters?
I am not committed to any particular automation brand, I haven't really even dug into researching it. My pool builder is one of those old school anti-automation people. I think I am actually going to add it when he is done and off site. It might end up costing us a little more money but it has been my experience that it is a bad idea to have a contractor install a product that they don't really like.

ajw22

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 21, 2013
Northern NJ
I am not committed to any particular automation brand, I haven't really even dug into researching it. My pool builder is one of those old school anti-automation people. I think I am actually going to add it when he is done and off site. It might end up costing us a little more money but it has been my experience that it is a bad idea to have a contractor install a product that they don't really like.
You can be painting yourself into some corners if you don't plan your equipment out.

It is best to select the same manufacturer for pump, SWG, and heat pump as your automation panel for them to work best together. Not all automation can control two heaters. I think the new Pentair Intellicenter can control a gas heater and a Heat Pump.

Automation requires proper planning of your plumbing and valves. And the valves need to support motorized actuators.

Electrical is usually run through the automation with the automation load center housing your pool circuit breakers. The electical panels your Pool Builder installs would need to be replaced or limit your flexibility with retrofitted automation.

The major pool equipment manufacturers give different length warranty's based on where the equipment is purchased and who installs it. In some cases you get longer warranty when a bundle of equipment is purchased together.

If you are unwilling to get your Pool Builder to install the equipment you want on your pool then I suggest you install the bare minimum of equipment - filter and pump - and line up another contractor to set you up the way you want. Even then your Pool Builder can paint you into corners with the size of your equipment pad, emplacement of the equipment pad, where the pipes are routed, and if the pump will work with the automation.