Harrisburg,PA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I know that many on here like the Raypak atmospheric heater for the simple design and relatively less expensive repairs. That used to be the way they were all made.

Somewhere along the line the blower style became more prominent. Even Raypak has now gone that route with the Avia.

My question is why? If they heat the water with about the same efficiency what is the reason the industry has moved in that direction?

Last edited:
I know that many on here like the Raypak atmospheric heater for the simple design and relatively less expensive repairs. That used to be the way they were all made.

Somewhere along the line the blower style became more prominent. Even Raypak has now gone that route with the Aria.

My question is why? If they heat the water with about the same efficiency what is the reason the industry has moved in that direction?

I am not really sure but I do know my heater is about a 1/4 the size of my neighbor's ancient Raypac and puts out more heat.

Efficiency!! Without some form of venting assistance a heater is limited to a lower efficiency. You won't find a natural draft residential furnace these days because of the mandated minimum efficiency.
Using Raypak as an example since they make both styles the Avia has an efficiency rating of 84% while the RP2100 is rated at 83%. Doesn't seem like a big advantage for a more complicated design to me.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.