Garden Spa Hydrangea low flow problem

gevdog

Jun 7, 2018
Southern Ontario
I have a Garden Spa Hydrangea which came with the house when I moved in 3 yrs ago. Not sure of the age. I didn't notice an issue the 1st year we used it, but last year and this year some of the jets seem to be hardly pushing any water through. I drain it and clean it every spring, and refill it in the fall. I don't think it it's an airlock, as the pump is making it's usual sound, and some of the jets work OK. I can feel some water coming out of the jets but there's hardly any pressure behind it, and the water doesn't get very turbulent, even with the air valves open. The filter is brand new (replace it each year). Is it possible multiple jets are clogged? And if so, would it completely block the water and/or air coming out? Just wondering whether I have a jet problem or a pump problem. Also, if the jets are clogged, can I remove them and clean them one at a time with the hot tub full or do I have to drain it?

The jets are usually adjustable by turning the jetface. Are they all open completely?
Some spas have a diverter valve that moves water from one set of jets to another. Is it turned to one side?
The jets are usually removeable. Post a pic of yours and I'll tell you how.

The jets are usually adjustable by turning the jetface. Are they all open completely?
This. I've noticed a number of ours will start drifting towards closed over time even when we're not actively adjusting them. I'd say about 80% of my jets are adjustable, with the rest non-adjustable. Presumably so you can't shut every jet off and stop the flow of water.

All the jets are open. Some of them just have very little flow coming out. There is an adjustment to direct the flow from the jets on one side of the tub to the other, but it doesn't matter which way it's turned. I'm pretty sure the jets are removable (from what I've read most are). Is it harmful to remove and clean the jets when the tub is full of water? I just filled it a week ago and don't want to have to drain it again.

Won't hurt a thing, except perhaps the jet barrels themselves. They often don't survive removal if they are very old.
I am not familiar with that specific brand, so don't know exactly how it is plumbed. Most modern tubs use barbed manifolds and clear tubing for jets. If a manifold gets some debris into it, it can block, or partially block, multiple jets. This is very rare, as any debris to reach the manifold would have to make it through the pump first, or originate between the pump and manifold.
Are the low flow jets all on one side of the diverter valve? Often there are check valves inline from the diverter valve that can fail and cause partial or complete blockage of a pipe.
The clear tubing going to each jet can kink over like a garden hose if it was bent to sharply or has too much slack in the tube. As it heats it becomes more flexible and the pressure of the bend or the weight of the water in the tube will slowly drag it down until the hose is partly or completely kinked.
The jets are also connected to an air injection system, usually controlled by small knobs on the edge of the spa. Jets with air flow will appear white and will feel stronger than those with no air flow. Could it be that?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.