Future pool owner checking in.

explorerst4x4

Jul 6, 2020
Cincinnati, OH
Hi all! Digging starts tomorrow on our inground pool. Very nervous about making sure we made the right choices in our pool and equipment.
I have never owned a pool but I am so looking forward to this addition to our dream home.

The details.
18x37 Grecian style. 5 foot sundeck 12 inches deep that also goes down one side another 5 feet for seating on one side of the pool. Saltwater. Vinyl with 14 gauge walls. 6 foot deep.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-07-06 at 11.43.39 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-06 at 11.43.39 PM.png
    211.5 KB · Views: 6
A little late in doing my research as the pool is already under construction, but I wanted to add the equipment list to get your thoughts.
Pool is a Grecian style with a 4 foot sundeck as the second step. 17800 gallons, Saltwater.

SWG - Pentair Intellichlor
Sandfilter - Pentair SD80 I definitely want to get glass media for this.
Vacuum - Dolphin S200
Lights - Intellibright 5G
Pump - Pentair Superflow (don't see a model number in the documentation) I talked to him about a VSP, but he bashed them, so I caved at first. Definitely going this route after research.
Heat Pump - Rheem M545071

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-07-06 at 11.43.39 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-06 at 11.43.39 PM.png
    211.5 KB · Views: 3
Pump - Pentair Superflow (don't see a model number in the documentation) I talked to him about a VSP, but he bashed them, so I caved at first. Definitely going this route after research.

So your PB is telling you to get a single speed over a variable speed? Who's going to be paying the utility bill???

Reactions: explorerst4x4
Hey explorer and welcome !!
Sandfilter - Pentair SD80 I definitely want to get glass
Somebody said recently that the best thing that could possibly be said about things other than sand was that they clean/filter as good as sand. It cannot do better, it can only do equal or worse.

Explorer, are you planning to get any automation now or in the next few years? Just wanted to let you know a SuperFlo VS isn't ideal for that and you'd be better off with IntelliFlo. We can go into more details if you want to go that route. BTW, don't forget to check for rebates from your utility and manufacturer.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Welcome to TFP!!

Great choices on equipment especially sticking to your guns on the VS pump. This gives you huge flexibility to optimize operating cost specifically for your pool and will save you big $. Even better than this is that you have the ability to use TFP methods from day one! Many (most) of us end up here because of dismal failure of local pool store recommendations or costly pool services that don't understand the chemistry. Sooner or later this leads to big $ down the drain and still a lousy looking pool. You can avoid all that. And you even are starting with salt! If I could go back and start again my pool would look a lot like yours. So now's the time to read the reference information and learn about maintenance, water balance etc. Ask any questions you may have and definitely get that test kit ordered so you have it well before you add water. You can practice on your fill water so you have technique down and an idea of what you'll need to do initially.

Again, welcome. Congrats on the new pool and for starting out right!

Chris