Funny CYA and FC reading.

Tyrone Shuz

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 2, 2007
Bowie, MD
I decided on liquid stabilizer and poured in two gallons (roughly 20k gallon vinyl IG pool). I'm supposed to get 32ppm out of that, but it's reading less than that, between 20 and 25. I also put in three bags of 65% avail cal hypo (can't find bleach) and a day later I'm getting a FC reading of 1, and a CC of 1. The daily color test agrees with this (I know they're unreliable after lots of chlorine is put in the pool). Does liquid stabilizer give a different reading? Are my reagents bad? The DPD powder is clumping. I ordered a new refill kit from TFT but it'll be a few days before I get it. I also ordered another gallon of stabilizer.

20,000 gal IG Vinyl, sta-rite 3/4 HP Pump, DE filter (Hayward I think) w/multiport

A CYA reading above 20 is viewed as 30. So that is close to your expected level of 32 (which you cannot test to that accuracy).

Sunlight or organics consume chlorine. So one, or both, consumed the chlorine.

Thanks for the reply! Hasn't been all that sunny, the three bags should have added 12ppm of FC. To be down to 1 in one day is alarming. A couple small algae spots and still some schmutz on the bottom that the robot is gradually picking up. Another gallon should bring me to 40-45, and I think I've found a source for 12% liquid chlorine. My CH reading is only 100 so I can use the remaining 18 bags of Cal Hypo w/o worrying about scaling.

I did--Raised it 12ppm was very surprised that it was gone so quickly.
I would add another dose and test about 15-30min later.
Then after a hour or so, test again (if that first test showed the expected level of FC), esp if you suspect that your FC is being "used up". Which a CC of 1 would definitely suggest.

Can you get some plain household bleach? (not sure of your location) Something to get chlorine in the pool :)

Reactions: Tyrone Shuz
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.