Frustrating boding question: Retro-active bonding of existing slide

Wolfm30

Jul 2, 2019
Texas
Hi--Noob here. What's the easiest/cheapest way to bond an already-installed slide (Interfab Wild Ride) to our pool? Pool and slide was installed by previous owner in 2009 and is an in-ground fiberglass shell. Slide mounts via anchor bolts into the concrete--the metal slide legs slide over the mounts (see pic).

Not sure how best to find and tap into the equipotential grid or if it's even necessary. Do all four legs of the slide need to be bonded? How about the metal railing up along the slide's steps? All pump and electrical equipment are located inconveniently far from the slide.

Thanks in advance!109324

See Slide Bonding From post #10 ...

Typically you use a circular saw to cut slots which then have a bonding wire pressed in. The slots are then filled back with concrete. They invariably show, but aren't too bad.

Can you take a picture of the entire slide from a couple of different angles?

Are you sure an anchor bolt isn't connected to the bonding grid? Maybe through the rebar in the concrete?
I think I'd have it tested before anything else.

The mount is usually bonded during installation and then the slide poles just slip in (line a pool ladder well). Get a length of wire and a multimeter and test for continuity between the slide poles/mount and the main bonding location.

Thank you all. There are no bonding wire or connections to any of the four legs on the slide--all are mounted similarly to the one in the pic, with anchor bolts into the concrete. Good idea about checking continuity, Bama Rambleer--I haven't checked the depth of each anchor bolt, but I suspect it was installed on the cheap. Is the bonding requirement relatively new (i.e., would it have been required in 2009)? We've had a couple of pool-familiar electricians provide estimates and they're recommending joining the legs and ladder handles together electrically, and running a trenched bonding line to the pool equipment across the yard ~$1500. Besides being expensive, I think there should be an easier solution. Thank-you to ajw22--I had read that post, but questioned the concrete slots--do they have to cut deep enough to tap into the rebar, or just deep enough for the bonding wire to make good contact with the concrete? I'll keep you posted on what we find out, and what we end up doing!

You would not see the bonding wire if it was installed properly during installation. Check continuity as mentioned earlier from the legs back to the equipment pad bonding. Hopefully you will be pleasantly surprised that it is bonded.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.