Jul 8, 2017
Baytown/TX
Like so many others, I was running my pump until the power went out and now everything is frozen. I turned off the power and took out the drain plugs (if those are the little plug things under the basket). What should I do now? Visually everything looks ok. I’m sure it is still frozen inside. We will have a hard freeze tonight and then be warmer.

Reactions: Global Charming
Did water not come out of the plugs when you opened them up? Also did you do the same for the filter and heater (if you have one)?

A little water came out of the plugs, I can tell that there is still water in there. I opened the pressure gage on the filter. I tried to open the black bottom drain, but it didn’t want to budge and I didn’t want to break it. It’s hard to get off anyway so it may or may not be frozen. I didn’t do anything with the heater. Does it have a plug too?

My Pentair heater had a black plug right below where the PVC pipes go in and out. For the Filter, I have a Pentair DE filter and a 7/8 wrench fit nicely on the bottom of the black plug.

I would try to get all of the water out you can so it doesnt freeze and expand to break anything. In addition to that, you may want to put a tarp over the equipment to help retain some heat. It looks like you guys are going to get above freezing every day from now on, so that tarp may be enough to keep the water in there from freezing at night.

Reactions: KellyMichelle
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.