Frozen Suction line on Spa

Van G

Bronze Supporter
Mar 22, 2016
Toronto
So this is super fun... We kept our pool open for the holidays and all was well until I went away for the weekend and the spa was used but when finished the pool preset was selected which means the spa suction lines are closed at the 3-way.

It's been very cold for 2 days.

So the water is 15 C and increasing but I can't get water through the spa suction to thaw it out.

I'm assuming it's most likely frozen at the 3-way end and I'll give it constant infrared heat source to see if that work.
I'll also keep the suction 3-way set to pull 80/20 from the pool/spa so if it does thaw out it will draw.
And I'll pump heat into the pool to hold at 20 C.

Is that approach sound?

Any advice appreciated.

Does your spa spillover to the pool? Do you have water circulating to both spa and pool returns?

Hope for a thaw.

Good luck.

Yeah, warm water is going to both pool and spa returns and the equipment is working fine.

I should clarify our cold - currently 12 F. Tuesday & Wed back to slightly above 32 so that won't solve the problem on it's own.

I've got the infrared heater pointed at the suction lines as they come into the pool pad and 3-way. Only about 12" exposed pipe so hopefully heat on it for the night will produce the desired results. Maybe I'll get some heat trace wire and wrap the area in roxul.

Is it guranteed damage if I can't get this out before spring?

The spa suction lines run bundled with the spa and pool returns so I can't see it freezing with them giving off heat but we'll see soon enough!

Did you tent over the infrared heater to keep the heat from blowing away? Without creating a fire hazard!

It is partially enclosed and will do a better job tomorrow. Pipes are getting warm to touch without risking damage or fire so we’ll see what we have in the morning.

I guess the lines could have frozen at the tub but it is 4’ below grade and the water in the spa is warm. I’d think that would radiate out the 6” those pipes are set off the tub.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.