From a Basic Lawn to Private Resort - We Have A Pool! Controlling Pollen...

The “tips” were not meant to scare you but to be prepared.
I have the same SWCG - around a water temperature of 50 degs the SWCG will not operate. So once water temperature drops below 60 degrees prepare to add LC. Have some on hand.

There are 2 plugs on your pump. One is below the pump basket an other is below the impeller housing. Usually both are on same side of pump.
The heater plugs are near the inlet pipes of the pump.
The filter is a very large plug or valve.

Reactions: Newdude
Elleb - do you know if they configured freeze protection mode in your controller? My pool was completed June 2022 and you recall the freeze Atlanta had over the winter? With freeze protect, I did not have to touch a thing during that weather. I was ABSOLUTELY prepared to pull plugs and drain immediately if we had a power loss. So planning is key - let the pool controller do it's thing (freeze protect mode - verify it is set up) and be ready to drain due to loss of power.

-Tom

Elleb - do you know if they configured freeze protection mode in your controller? My pool was completed June 2022 and you recall the freeze Atlanta had over the winter? With freeze protect, I did not have to touch a thing during that weather. I was ABSOLUTELY prepared to pull plugs and drain immediately if we had a power loss. So planning is key - let the pool controller do it's thing (freeze protect mode - verify it is set up) and be ready to drain due to loss of power.

-Tom

Freeze Protect is already setup and that was what I couldn't remember the tech calling it during Pool School.

The “tips” were not meant to scare you but to be prepared.
I have the same SWCG - around a water temperature of 50 degs the SWCG will not operate. So once water temperature drops below 60 degrees prepare to add LC. Have some on hand.

There are 2 plugs on your pump. One is below the pump basket an other is below the impeller housing. Usually both are on same side of pump.
The heater plugs are near the inlet pipes of the pump.
The filter is a very large plug or valve.
Ok I will take some pictures so the we can confirm together 😊

-Tom
Why would a drain be necessary if loss of power and for how long should the pwer be out before making a decision to drain? or do you mean draining the equipment?

Hello Again! I hope everyone has had pleasant holidays, a happy new year, and March is treating you all well! As we approach spring and things are beginning to bloom here in Georgia, the pollen season is already in gear. We've done well with a TFP Clear Open weather pool, but I am in dire need of a leaf cover! It's on the list! 😁 How does one keep their new pool clean and clear of pollen? Tips are much obliged! @kimkats @tommelton @HermanTX @Newdude. Thanks in advance for your responses.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have a free form pool with a water fall on 1 end So difficult to have a cover. I just have the pool circulate more, clean the baskets daily and use my leaf net. Oh the price we pay for pool self-maintenance!!!!!

I have a free form pool with a water fall on 1 end So difficult to have a cover. I just have the pool circulate more, clean the baskets daily and use my leaf net. Oh the price we pay for pool self-maintenance!!!!!
Thank you and indeed it is a new job 😂

Hey Elle and Welcome BACK!!!

4 options ;

1) Leaf net available in many sizes (get one with a tighter mesh

2) use a solar cover and sweep it all to an easy to scoop off spot with the pole brush (I did this for years)

3) run 24/7 with your VS pump ($20 ? a month in electricity on low RPM) so that whenever the crud falls, it'll likely find the skimmer. (I did this for years too)

4) soft open under the winter cover to circulate the water and be able to test/dose by popping a corner until the crud is done. (I did this for years along with soft closes)

1) Leaf net available in many sizes (get one with a tighter mesh
The FINE mesh is great for pollen but very difficult to pull through the water. I have a more open LEAF net that catches all the big stuff (and some small debris once you have the big stuff in the net. }

Reactions: Newdude
Thanks everyone. We don't have a cover of any sort. I adjusted the rpm yesterday and we're running the filter pump from 8:30am to 9pm. Trying this out to see how it goes. I think I'll get us some filter socks too to try out. Hopefully the continuous circulation, skimmer socks, and a few good brushings a few times a week will keep us in the clear. Hopefully this is a good plan.

Reactions: kimkats and Newdude
Hair nets like this help a lot with pollen.
Disposable Caps Hair Nets, Salon Spa Food Service 100 Pack 21" White Amazon.com

See this thread for my experience with pollen in the Houston area.

Reactions: elleb
@HermanTX @Newdude hello and happy spring. I went out to get my skimmer bot "George" out to empty the basket and I'm seeing what looks like sand colored sludge and wanted to know what on earth is this? Can you help me out? See pics below20240426_125649.jpg20240426_125637.jpgPool is crystal clear too
20240426_130306.jpg
I hope it's not algae. If so what should I do? I'm about to run my chem test shortly.

Hello and happy spring.
Welcome BACK sis !!!! :wave:
I'm seeing what looks like sand colored sludge and wanted to know what on earth is this?
My guess would be environmental crud. I imagine your spring is mid sprung right now.

Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to prove its not algae related.

Also, cartridge filters for the WIN because it's not DE or sand. So there's two things we dont need to chase down right off the bat. :ROFLMAO:

• Love
Reactions: elleb and newbie919

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support