From a Basic Lawn to Private Resort - We Have A Pool! Controlling Pollen...

I like your design! A few suggestions or items to think about:

-Pool main drain is optional. Simplifies your plumbing and eliminates potential problems.

-Add an external bypass to your heater. You just need to add a three-way diverter and keep the check valve on the output of the heater.

-You'll want more than 3 returns for a pool that size. Between 6 and 8 would be suitable.

-I like 4' for the shallow end. For the deep end, commit to a true deep end or go with 5' so people can stand comfortably. At 6', it's too deep to stand but too shallow to dive, so it becomes the least used portion of your pool.

-Move the spa light to the opposite wall.

-Oversize your equipment pad. You'll use all that space.

I like your design! A few suggestions or items to think about:

-Pool main drain is optional. Simplifies your plumbing and eliminates potential problems.

-Add an external bypass to your heater. You just need to add a three-way diverter and keep the check valve on the output of the heater.

-You'll want more than 3 returns for a pool that size. Between 6 and 8 would be suitable.

-I like 4' for the shallow end. For the deep end, commit to a true deep end or go with 5' so people can stand comfortably. At 6', it's too deep to stand but too shallow to dive, so it becomes the least used portion of your pool.

-Move the spa light to the opposite wall.

-Oversize your equipment pad. You'll use all that space.
Thank you @pjt. I will mention to the builder. Do you think that these are enough lights for the length of our pool? Why is the main drain optional? We were going to do 7ft but our 14 year old son is cool with just 6ft, we want the swim lanes more than the added depth. It's supposed to progress 4ft shallow, 5ft middle, 6ft deep end. We thought about our vactions and how we use the hotel pools and we're usually in the 5 and a 1/2 foot zone so added the 1/2 foot to the pool in case we want to hop in as we dont plan to dive at all.

I'm mostly concerned about the skimmers, bubblers, etc running on their own lines. Is 2 skimmers enough for this size pool?
2 skimmers are fine. The way they have it set up is good. The 3 returns should be fine based on the pool design. They have 1 shooting over the steps towards the skimmer. They have another opposite the skimmer in the deep end. And the 3rd is opposite the spa to push into center of pool. Also, when spa is spilling over that will also push water to center of pool.

Having the main drain and the 2 skimmers all on independent lines to the pump is also good.

Be advised that your bubblers can only function when in Pool Mode. If you are in Spa Mode and enjoying the spa jets, then the bubblers cannot function because the 3-way diverter valve is only open to Spa flow.
If you want the bubblers to function when in Spa Mode, then that needs a dedicated pump.

As shown the 3 independent lines for the bubblers allows you good control of each. However, replace the small ball valves with proper 2 way diverter valves. Ball valves freeze up over time and only way to repair is to replace them. The diverter valve can be repaired without removing the valve body.

Building a bypass for the heater into the plumbing is easy and would only cost an extra 3-way diverter valve. You would need that if you want to take your heater out of service or want to isolate it in cold weather (drain the heater) but still keep the pool/spa functional. Please read

Thats all is see now. I will continue to look at it. Keep us posted.

Reactions: Newdude
Do you think that these are enough lights for the length of our pool?
Should be fine. You want the lights facing away from the house/main seating area. Jandy has a good lighting guide: https://www.jandy.com/-/media/zodiac/global/downloads/sl/sl4572.pdf

Why is the main drain optional?
Lots of threads discussing this topic. A main drain is like the intestinal appendix: it doesn't really do anything, has the potential to cause severe problems, and you can live just fine without it. My pool was built without a main drain and I'm very happy with that decision. Zero entrapment risk, zero plumbing leak risk, and maximum skimmer suction.

We thought about our vacations and how we use the hotel pools and we're usually in the 5 and a 1/2 foot zone so added the 1/2 foot to the pool in case we want to hop in as we dont plan to dive at all.
Looks like you've thought it out and are aware of the considerations.

Attachments

• pools-without-drains.pdf
    278.6 KB · Views: 11
Building a bypass for the heater into the plumbing is easy and would only cost an extra 3-way diverter valve. You would need that if you want to take your heater out of service or want to isolate it in cold weather (drain the heater) but still keep the pool/spa functional. Please read

Thats all is see now. I will continue to look at it. Keep us posted.
This was a really good read and the picture really bought it together for me. I will definitely ask the PB to include this and the two way diverters for the bubbler lines! Thank you again @HermanTX and @pjt. I'll be starting an under construction thread soon enough! Do you recommend any pre-reading links? Dont send a ton right now, just what's necessary to get ready for digging 😂. I ordered our test kit Monday night. TF Pro Salt with the Standard Kit for Noobs like me to start out with something 😁

TF Pro Salt
Excellent choice. That's by far the best money you'll spend on your pool.

ready for digging
My build thread (link in my signature) might be useful and bring up other ideas you haven't considered yet. Take lots of pictures during construction, especially the trenches, plumbing, and electrical. Verify everything and monitor the work, fixing problems when they're small.

Reactions: elleb and Newdude
I'll be starting an under construction thread soon enough! Do you recommend any pre-reading links? Dont send a ton right now, just what's necessary to get ready for digging 😂
In the early part of this thread there were several links on construction best practices. Also, at the bottom of the page, see the link to TFP Wiki which has many different topics.

Keep your construction progress on this existing thread. You can change the title of the thread to reflect a current status as that changes over time For example, "Just Finished My Dig - Have a New Question". This will draw in other members to contribute. Then if you have a question after that is done you might state, for example - " Ready for Shotcrete - blah blah blah". Always include pictures as that helps tremendously.

Please Create Your Signature to help us understand what your current setup is and this will help responders to quickly see your equipment and pool details without having to keeping asking for the information or going back to early part of the thread. Since you are under construction you can start it out as "Under Construction eff Feb 2023, IG xxxxx gals, list major equipment, list type of plaster, list test kit."
Keep us posted.

Reactions: Newdude
@pjt I just read your entire build thread and your pool is absolutely gorgeous! I love the shade pavilion. Your yard looks amazing. I definitely bookmarked the anchor socket. Did you have to order additional umbrella sleeves for around your pool? If so, do you mind sharing the link? I asked for more umbrella sleeves around our pool and I want to make sure that I order the right ones. Our son is also getting a 1/2 court basketball court, so we have them installing a concrete pad for that and anchoring the goal footing for us. I want to soften some of the decking and concrete with some nice evergreen trees and some pool friendly flowers (not sure which ones yet).

I just read your entire build thread and your pool is absolutely gorgeous!
Thanks! We're enjoying it.

Did you have to order additional umbrella sleeves for around your pool?
Our PB installed the umbrella sockets. They're inexpensive.

The umbrella sleeves are AquaStar 7-1/2"

Waterway Plastics also makes sleeves:

Reactions: elleb

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The design is beautiful, but will it be functional for what you want? I know you mentioned that swim lanes were important to you. As a lap swimmer, I would not want to be swimming into benches or a tanning ledge. From a safety perspective, it's an accident waiting to happen, especially if you do flip turns. The tanning ledge isn't as risky at only 9" deep, but if you are planning to lap swim I would strongly suggest that you get rid of the benches on the flat walls in the deep end. You can keep the bench in the curved nook.

The design is beautiful, but will it be functional for what you want? I know you mentioned that swim lanes were important to you. As a lap swimmer, I would not want to be swimming into benches or a tanning ledge. From a safety perspective, it's an accident waiting to happen, especially if you do flip turns. The tanning ledge isn't as risky at only 9" deep, but if you are planning to lap swim I would strongly suggest that you get rid of the benches on the flat walls in the deep end. You can keep the bench in the curved nook.
Hi @darkrider, that's what we plan to do keep the bench in the curved nook and not on the flat wall. This was a drafted 3d design. I spoke with the builder about this exact thing a few weeks ago for the same reason you mentioned 😊

Reactions: darkrider
Getting closer to excavation day and we are so excited. Went to pick finishes out this afternoon and I'd like to see what @kimkats thinks about my selections. I couldn't get my family to come out with me, so I told them they are not allowed to complain. So here's where I've landed. @kimkats, please let me know your thoughts. The stacked stone is in Tundra 3D and Splitface will be on our spa. I went with NPT Stonescapes Aqua White Mini Pebble. The coping is Travertine Bullnose in Shell Beige, the waterline tile is NPT Simulated Quartzite in Classic Beige 6x6, it has some grey undertones. Our Decking is Belgard Paver Dimensions in Gray Granite and our steps and benches will be lined with the Mystique Turquoise. I wanted our waterline to blend in with the coping and decking. We are getting a little closer!

Attachments

• 20230211_151353.jpg
    20230211_151353.jpg
    680 KB · Views: 48
  • Love
Reactions: Bijju and kimkats
I love, love, lover your picks!!!! You did GREAT!

Now I am thinking you have read quite a bit but I am going to say my bit anyway to make sure you or anyone reading your thread will have the info.

With that WONDERFUL tile you need to think about what color of mortor to use under it. Get some paint sample cards. Light gray, medium gray, and white. See which color you like the best. Make sure to do it outside where the pool is going as the environment wi.. change how it looks. THEN you get to think about the color of grout. White will make each tile pop out where a light gray with make them all blend in together. Your PB should have grout color sticks for you to play with. Both look pretty so you can't really go wrong with either one.

Kim:kim:

• Love
Reactions: elleb
I love, love, lover your picks!!!! You did GREAT!

Now I am thinking you have read quite a bit but I am going to say my bit anyway to make sure you or anyone reading your thread will have the info.

With that WONDERFUL tile you need to think about what color of mortor to use under it. Get some paint sample cards. Light gray, medium gray, and white. See which color you like the best. Make sure to do it outside where the pool is going as the environment wi.. change how it looks. THEN you get to think about the color of grout. White will make each tile pop out where a light gray with make them all blend in together. Your PB should have grout color sticks for you to play with. Both look pretty so you can't really go wrong with either one.

Thank you @kimkats!!! Nice to finally meet you virtually 😂. I've noticed you are the pool jewelry expert around TFP and I couldn't wait to ask for your help with our pool bling🥰. I almost sprung for the puerto rico blend but I don't want us to pay another $5600 for the upgrade with our pool size. I am trying to see if we can purchase 2 or 3 bags of glass and have it hand cast when we reach that step. If not, I may have to revisit that thought 😆. I'm really excited to see it all come together! 😊

• Love
Reactions: kimkats
Our dig day has been pushed back a week due to rain in our area. We are still super excited and ready to get the ball rolling. Since my last post about our finishes, they have changed. Something about my original choice of the Belgard Pavers in Granite Gray and not seeing a real good image or sample of it outside of the catalog, with the Shell Beige coping wasn't sitting right with me. So, I ended up reaching out to Belgard to get samples of what was available to our PB from the dimensions line. I also reached out to NPT and they actually had samples on site but our work schedules didn't work with their hours so I asked the rep to take a picture and text it to me. I received both sets of samples in the form of high quality color images and a texted photo. I was able to make some great selections that our entire family is excited about and I think our pool and spa are going to look amazing. I was also very intentional in really comparing the NPT Stonescapes Aqua White in Mini vs Puerto Rico Blend Mini especially when it comes to the smoothness factor when I visited with the PB. I chose the Aqua White Mini because it felt smoother to the touch both wet and dry than the Puerto Rico Blend did, in my opinion, so we went with that. Here are our final selections and I can't wait to see the final product:

Pebble Finish: NPT Stonescapes Aqua White Mini
Waterline: Npt Tile Vera Cruz Creama in Cream
Spa Face/Trim Benches/Steps: Npt Tile Pacific Coast Oceano 1x2
Spa Stacked Stone: Tundra 3D Splitface in Silver
Coping: Travertine Shell beige
Decking: Belgard Pavers Dimensions 18 in Linen

Photos are attached. We are going for the face/spillway of the spa to look like the attached photo.

I also wanted to document this in case someone else needs help or tips with selecting Belgard pavers.

Attachments

• 698256857001.jpg
    698256857001.jpg
    222.1 KB · Views: 49
  • 20230216_174045.jpg
    20230216_174045.jpg
    810.3 KB · Views: 48
  • 20190208-141822.jpg
    20190208-141822.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Love, Love, Love the new tile for the waterline tile! Some bling going on to make it really POP!

Good job getting the samples and pics from the vendors!

Where you feeling the sample plaster colors? If so I worry maybe it will not be the true feel of the installed plaster as the sample has been rubbed by many hands over time. Saying that the mini is said to be a smoother plaster so you should be good there!

Love, Love, Love the new tile for the waterline tile! Some bling going on to make it really POP!

Good job getting the samples and pics from the vendors!

Where you feeling the sample plaster colors? If so I worry maybe it will not be the true feel of the installed plaster as the sample has been rubbed by many hands over time. Saying that the mini is said to be a smoother plaster so you should be good there!

Yeah. I wanted to feel the difference between the two in person in a pool, but most people in our area choose the regular pebble or mini pebble, fiberglass, or vinyl liner pools. No one goes for the puerto rico blend due to cost. Even my choice in color of Aqua White was an unusual pick as typically tropics blue, french gray, or darker is the color chosen. I was trying to feel texture so I went with what was available to me at the time🤷🏾‍♀️.

Last edited:
Reactions: kimkats

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support