Frog habitat

I'm a little confused about the DE filter comment, when you stated you put two new cartridges in before you closed the pool for winter 2 years ago? Are you on DE with DE grids, or Cartridge filtration.

If you want to go the easier faster but more expensive way (depending on how much you are billed for water by you're utility provider.) and swap out that light for an LED light, then by all means... drain it if that works out more conveinant.

But some of us here including myself have turned water like that crystal clear over the course of 3 weeks to a month.

Most contractors involving any kind of construction or major cleanup will always over bill if they don't want to be bothered with the job if it will cost them more time. Time=Money. They love easy repeated billable continuous maintenance gigs. Nature of the beast. I had a landscaper once quote my wife $1800 for a spring leaf cleanup since I was so busy with work one year. Something I said no way to,
and just cleaned it up myself and one weekend. I'm sure if they just wanted to cut my grass and maybe spray some herbicides it would have cost me $150-$250.

Same goes for the pool.

You get out of it what you put into it. But once you are clear and understand water chemistry, the maintenance and chemical cost is minimal.

If you want to go the easier faster but more expensive way (depending on how much you are billed for water by you're utility provider.) and swap out that light for an LED light, then by all means... drain it if that works out more conveinant.

Just for some perspective on the cost to do a refill, since I just did it.

35,000 gallon pool. I pay $4.0743/CCF. 1 CCF = 748 gallons. 35,000 gallons = 47 CCF = $191 water bill
15 lbs of stabilizer (CYA) = $40
22 40 lbs bags of Morton's Pool Salt from Walmart @ $6/bag = $132
85 lbs of Boric Acid for borates = $100
4 gallons of MA to balance PH and lower TA = $40

Around $500 in water and chemicals for a fresh start. Some of those chemicals your pool water may need anyway.

Location? Water prices & restrictions can vary (did you have to pay for the drain/sewer charge)?
Just for some perspective on the cost to do a refill, since I just did it.

35,000 gallon pool. I pay $4.0743/CCF. 1 CCF = 748 gallons. 35,000 gallons = 47 CCF = $191 water bill
15 lbs of stabilizer (CYA) = $40
22 40 lbs bags of Morton's Pool Salt from Walmart @ $6/bag = $132
85 lbs of Boric Acid for borates = $100
4 gallons of MA to balance PH and lower TA = $40

Around $500 in water and chemicals for a fresh start. Some of those chemicals your pool water may need anyway.

Ready for this...I legit fought a bunch of water bugs and a frog when my tape measure fell in the pool.
I have updated my signature and here are some more horror pictures.
2ec085e42c564532f7bde10098b7b457.jpg
59c86090e77f44891f9d606141215482.jpg
ead250a3e6ad17f6545083c1c602f164.jpg
c35c496e14a24a431a1c7ade24484a3f.jpg

Ready for this...I legit fought a bunch of water bugs and a frog when my tape measure fell in the pool.
I have updated my signature and here are some more horror pictures.{pic}{pic}{pic}
Not horror (unless they aren't working) :)

You have a DE filter. You might want to consider a submersible pump for water circulation, unless your filter has a Recirculate setting?

So the DE question. That giant silver canister is my filter and inside are these mesh cartridges that all circle around each other then I pour DE into the skimmer.
After taking those pictures I think I may want a new filter. Below is the quote breakdown I was given:

Plaster Prep, Replaster/White Plaster, Replace Return Jets, Replace Main Drain Covers/ VGB Compliant $5,535.00
Standard Tile Replacement $4,053.00
Drain and Acid Wash Pool $750
Replace Pool Light $600
Filter Clean (Additional Parts may be required) $120
Repair Booster Pump Plumbing (Additional repairs may be required) $150
Polaris Pool Cleaner $650
Pool Service $160

With tax it came to $12,552.85

So the DE question. That giant silver canister is my filter and inside are these mesh cartridges that all circle around each other then I pour DE into the skimmer.
After taking those pictures I think I may want a new filter. Below is the quote breakdown I was given:

Plaster Prep, Replaster/White Plaster, Replace Return Jets, Replace Main Drain Covers/ VGB Compliant $5,535.00
Replace Pool Light $600
Pool Service $160

So what are your thoughts, just so everyone can help guide you, do you want to clear the water yourself (this will be time consuming)?
Is money or time more of a factor?

Is there damage that needs repaired? Does the pump and filter operate (correctly)?

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, it does have a recirculate setting on the valve.

Recirculate would allow you to run chemicals in the water, but not have clogged up filter until the pool lightens in color (meaning the chlorine is killing the algae) and then ready to start filtration

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Replace Pool Light $600
Pool Service $160

Do you need/want plaster and tile repair. That is a whole other story from pool startup.

Drain and Acid Wash Pool, Clean Filter, Pool Service Charge = $1030. Not a bad charge where I come from. You can DIY if you have the time and willing to learn.

Replace pool light, repair booster pump plumbing, and new Polaris Cleaner are all separate problems you can DIY or buy from pool company.

$650 is not a bad price for an installed Polaris 380 (If they are proposing a 380??). Amazon is showing $623.

So what are your thoughts, just so everyone can help guide you, do you want to clear the water yourself (this will be time consuming)?
Is money or time more of a factor?

Is there damage that needs repaired? Does the pump and filter operate (correctly)?

- - - Updated - - -

Recirculate would allow you to run chemicals in the water, but not have clogged up filter until the pool lightens in color and ready to add filtration

Money is the most important factor to me. I would rather spend time and gain knowledge on how to take care of my pool then to give someone else $12,000 and still have no idea what I'm doing. The pump works great, we just replaced the motor before letting it sit. The issue I had with his quote is there are things I don't need done, like replacing the main drain and return jets. The investor that flipped our house had that done before we moved in. He also had it drained and painted which wasn't the best idea because I always find white flakes in my filter. The booster pump plumbing is fine, the pump needs to be replaced because it doesn't sound healthy when it's on. "Garry" my Polaris is also fine, I refurbished him myself, he does need a new hose and probably a new scrubby tail. I definitely didn't want pool service thrown in.
I have a budget of $6000 to do this with, so i am more than happy to learn how to do it myself to save money.

Money is the most important factor to me. I would rather spend time and gain knowledge on how to take care of my pool then to give someone else $12,000 and still have no idea what I'm doing. The pump works great, we just replaced the motor before letting it sit. The issue I had with his quote is there are things I don't need done, like replacing the main drain and return jets. The investor that flipped our house had that done before we moved in. He also had it drained and painted which wasn't the best idea because I always find white flakes in my filter. The booster pump plumbing is fine, the pump needs to be replaced because it doesn't sound healthy when it's on. "Garry" my Polaris is also fine, I refurbished him myself, he does need a new hose and probably a new scrubby tail. I definitely didn't want pool service thrown in.
I have a budget of $6000 to do this with, so i am more than happy to learn how to do it myself to save money.
That IS what I was hoping to hear!! :kim:
We will get you on the right track!

Garry" my Polaris is also fine, I refurbished him myself, he does need a new hose and probably a new scrubby tail. I definitely didn't want pool service thrown in.

Polaris feeder hose is $160. Tail scrubby is $2.

I would hire the pool company to do the heavy lifting - drain, acid wash, and get the pump and filter started for around $1,000. That gets you new clean water as a start. Then you will spend a few hundred on chemicals. After that you can assess what you must replace/repair this season to keep it running. That assumes your water fill cost is reasonable.

Scoop/net/shovel all the large debris you guys can safely (no need to fall in) reach. Scooping blind is fine!
You're next step would be to start adding liquid chlorine/bleach per PoolMath at the top, enter your gallons, then in Chlorine, enter- Now/0 Goal/10 (we know there is likely no CYA, BUT plenty of organics to use up the chlorine) until your test kit arrives, then you target a more aggressive SLAM Process
Some sort of water circulation will need to be provided

Hi there!
I am new here! I too had a frog / swamp / dead animal sanctuary just two weeks ago! I too had some traumatic life events which caused me to abandon our pool for 4 years. Well this year we were determined to get it blue again! We tried the scoop method and it just became so much work I said screw it let's drain this bad boy and get it done! We are in Florida and live very close to a river so it was a risk but had to be done! I am so glad we drained it. I was able to get a good look at the plaster and determine that we had some sensitive spots but hopefully we can get a few more years out of the plaster before having to re marcite. It took about two days to get all of the muck out and the walls cleaned and scrubbed down. A weekend. We considered doing an acid was to get it white again but had a pool contractor come over to check it out and he said to just fill it and enjoy for a few more years as the acid wash will shorten the life of the plaster more. So we filled it up and it is blue again with some major staining however anything beats looking at a swamp every day! I am hopeful chlorine and some sun light will help with the stains. Now on to the filter and pump...it needs work. My vote would be to drain your pool it is so much easier! Good luck!!

Hi there!
I am new here! I too had a frog / swamp / dead animal sanctuary just two weeks ago! I too had some traumatic life events which caused me to abandon our pool for 4 years. Well this year we were determined to get it blue again! We tried the scoop method and it just became so much work I said screw it let's drain this bad boy and get it done! We are in Florida and live very close to a river so it was a risk but had to be done! I am so glad we drained it. I was able to get a good look at the plaster and determine that we had some sensitive spots but hopefully we can get a few more years out of the plaster before having to re marcite. It took about two days to get all of the muck out and the walls cleaned and scrubbed down. A weekend. We considered doing an acid was to get it white again but had a pool contractor come over to check it out and he said to just fill it and enjoy for a few more years as the acid wash will shorten the life of the plaster more. So we filled it up and it is blue again with some major staining however anything beats looking at a swamp every day! I am hopeful chlorine and some sun light will help with the stains. Now on to the filter and pump...it needs work. My vote would be to drain your pool it is so much easier! Good luck!!

I say this BUT you and the kids do it! Rent a trash pump to remove the water. Get lots of bleach to scrub down the sides with. Borrow push brooms so everyone has one of their own to scrub the sides down. I am all for child labor.........helps build character!

Kim:kim:

I canceled the plans I had for today to start working on the pool. After watching some inspirational pool cleaning videos I started using my pool rake to pull the leaves out.
After an hour I realized...we have to a drain and refill. The weight of the leaves is bending the pool and threatening to break the gorilla bag.
So now I’m watching YouTube videos of people draining, cleaning, and refilling. While labor intensive it doesn’t seem to hard to do.
My concern now is protecting the plaster while we do this. One video the guy on it said you shouldn’t drain/refill if the temp is over 80 degrees. That would mean waiting until the fall.
If we drain/clean/refill in one weekend, would it still be an issue for the plaster?

My concern now is protecting the plaster while we do this. One video the guy on it said you shouldn’t drain/refill if the temp is over 80 degrees. That would mean waiting until the fall.
If we drain/clean/refill in one weekend, would it still be an issue for the plaster?

As you clean you are going to be wetting down the plaster and have a pump at the bottom of the pool to get out the waste water. Keep the plaster damp during the day while you clean it and you should not have a problem.

As you clean you are going to be wetting down the plaster and have a pump at the bottom of the pool to get out the waste water. Keep the plaster damp during the day while you clean it and you should not have a problem.

Here is an outside link with some steps that seem sound to me (haven't personally done a plaster-surface drain)
How to Drain Your Swimming Pool (Properly)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.