Friendswood pool build - almost there......

Re: Friendswood pool build - now with construction pics.....

I have been slow posting lately but here are a few pictures from gunite day and the following days of plumbing and some electrical.....

Let me say I was very impressed with the crew from Modern Method Gunite. They were very professional and obviously could do this in their sleep.... :)

Gunite guys started early - around 6.30 :shock:
86d547b6.jpg

A second plastic cover - they already covered the house
97c28a5a.jpg

Leveling out
c7ffda38.jpg

Finishing up
2c3fe237.jpg

Plumbing trenches
937c96f8.jpg

Overview
374a853b.jpg

View from other side
4db9ee08.jpg

Autofill installed
a5c41e40.jpg

Bonding wire
2f8b4846.jpg

Equipment pad
86ea9e96.jpg

We actually settled on tile and decking :cheers: :whoot: Not an easy decision......
We really like these lighter colors and there is a nice iridescence in the water line tile
618920ea.jpg

Next week they should start the decking and tile work. Getting closer..... :party:

I forgot to tell that we decided to add a fire bowl with a little wall and an extra flower pot. It will have an automatic ignition/remote control.

That will hopefully be the last change we make...... (besides changing a flower bed and widening the decking slightly on the left side.... :-D)

View from the side
3a4d8b2e.jpg

View from above
fef5c97d.jpg

I have been slow in posting progress pics lately so here comes a bunch.....
Hopefully water filling tomorrow...

Overflow pipe next to autofill
c600392e.jpg

Coping laid
41bb137e.jpg

Clean-up before plaster
491c203b.jpg

Waterline tile at spa
5ed9a649.jpg

Back wall with waterline tile
8f82da2e.jpg

Plaster starting early (around 6.40 AM :shock: )
8a99869d.jpg

"Spiderweb" above pool
c186d4f6.jpg

Plaster going in around spa
7b91d85c.jpg

Plastering walls
f4f52dbb.jpg

Plaster truck in the street
4922d9d2.jpg

Watering down plaster
8f947f9b.jpg

Smoothing the edges
9ecb6aeb.jpg

Guy with leaf blower helps even the plaster
f8f1e071.jpg

Plaster finished :whoot:
7d75b954.jpg

Night of plaster
3e86abf4.jpg

Waiting for acid wash and water filling on Monday
f2b8127c.jpg

Thanks, shakenbake.
It will still be a week or so before the decking tile and landscaping is done but right now the water fill is the big goal (tomorrow).
The equipment pad is actually not so bad when you get closer. I did ask for 45 degree angles - it may make it look more chaotic. I later found out that the difference is probably negligible. Oh, well it won't hurt......

Re: Friendswood pool build - We made it....

Finally there :-D

We filled the pool two weeks ago. It took 16 hours through 3 hoses.

The kids jumped in the pool the first day and we have been swimming every night since then. The temperature quickly made it above 80F which is very comfortable (still a little cold for DW....)

A few pictures

Final pool
7ecc6e7a.jpg

Tile guys did a great job:
Edge of decking
8d63b129.jpg

Nice detail around column where they cut the coping to follow the curve - not easy....
12048c2f.jpg

Little son loves 'diving'in the hot tub... :)
d06f951a.jpg

We are really happy with the result. There are a few items left (fire pit, outdoor grill etc) but it was great to finish the landscaping to minimize the amount of sand that made it into the pool.

Chemicals are almost in line - still a little high on TA but thanks to the great advice on TFP I am confident I will get it down with acid and aeration. Still a week or so before we add salt and I have found out I can buy boric acid for 70$ locally for a 55 lbs bag (should be enough to get me close to 50 ppm). I can't wait to get that done as well.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would also like to compliment you on a fantastic looking project. I particularly like the columns, the plant pots on them, and the higher pool wall on the back of the pool. Those additions really make a huge difference in the overall professionally-architected look and feel of the design.
I have always heard that the water needs to go in the day of the plaster, but it looks like you lived to tell about it. Was it just one day and were they worried at all? My PB has insisted on trucked in pool water b/c the hose would fill it too slowly.

gsxrken said:
I have always heard that the water needs to go in the day of the plaster, but it looks like you lived to tell about it. Was it just one day and were they worried at all? My PB has insisted on trucked in pool water b/c the hose would fill it too slowly.
I was a little unsure about this part myself but it seems that it is perfectly normal to plaster the PebbleSheen one day (this was done Saturday) and then acid wash 1-2 days later (this was done Monday). They started filling immediately after the acid wash.
From what I have read and heard, the filling speed is not critical - as long as you do not stop the filling before you reach the waterline tile.
It seems that the PebbleSheen (especially the darker type, perhaps) is quite resilient towards many of the horror stories I have read about. So far so good......

Thank you for the nice words about our project to all of you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.