Frequency to shock chlorine pool

cehmtx

Jun 22, 2013
Bowling Green KY
This is fourth year on troublefree pool method with liquid 10% bleach. Once having opened the pool through 'slamming' and all other chemical readings are 'steady-as she-goes', how often should I shock the pool?
Previously (before TFP), I shocked once a week and after significant rainfall (1+ inches.).
Now for the previous 3 years and this year, I only shock shock when (and if) my chlorine reading for Combined Chloramines goes more than 0.5 and/or my free chlorine read goes less than 2.0. Either of these conditions has rarely occurred.
So sometimes I feel I'm missing something and shock anyway. Just to be safe?
I add water to keep skimmers working. I rarely have to backwash except after significant rainfalls.
I regularly (twice weekly) brush pool liner and use robo pool monkey cleaner once (or twice if needed) weekly.
Have I oversimplified and should I regularly shock? Or do I shock after seeing some other reading for chlorine and/or CC?
I target free chlorine to be between 3.5 and 5.0. I try to keep CYA between 20 to 30. So yes, I do add some liquid 10% bleach about every day.
Just trying to keep 3 & 7 year old grandkids safe.

The answer is never. If you need to SLAM then SLAM it, but if your FC never drops below the minimum for your CYA level then the water is completely safe.

Weekly shocking is a symptom of pools that are improperly managed and designed to ward off problems from not maintaining proper chlorine levels during the rest of the week. A TFP pool is not improperly managed so there is no reason to regularly raise the FC any higher than you normally keep it.

C,

I have never shocked my pool since I started using the TFP process over three years ago. In my case, my pool stays open all year, so no winter closing for me.

As long as you maintain your chemicals within the TFP guidelines, routine or weekly shocking is just not required.

You are just making it more complicated than it has to be... :p

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.