Bronze Supporter
Jul 6, 2018
Apple Valley, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Should I be concerned because freeze protection did not kick in last night. My pumps are covered in snow and ice. At 11am the pump started normal schedule. Just to be safe I used a hair dryer and melted the ice everywhere.

You’ll probably need to look at your settings. If it’s programmed to come on at 34 and it snowed at 36 degrees, nothing is wrong but it still didn’t come on.

Please be super careful making puddles with a hair dryer. You can become the proverbial toaster in a bathtub real easy.

Reactions: Fishy1234
You’ll probably need to look at your settings. If it’s programmed to come on at 34 and it snowed at 36 degrees, nothing is wrong but it still didn’t come on.

Please be super careful making puddles with a hair dryer. You can become the proverbial toaster in a bathtub real easy.
I used my digital thermometer to see and it reading 43 degrees. Pump is reading 45.
My concern is Ice under the snow, especially the electric valves. So freeze protection comes on the valves are frozen and won't move. Something might break?

Have you considered closing your pool for the winter months?
The more I learn about my pool, the more I am convinced that pool should be closed. It's a real nightmare maintaining the pool where I live. High winds keep blowing dirt and leafs in the water, pumps are running late at night in freeze mode, and its too cold for me to be outside cleaning every other day.

It seems like you had a freak weather anomaly where things are covered in snow without actually being freezing out. It happens. To freeze the water in the pipes above ground or the first few inches below ground, it needs to be actually freezing for days if it’s close to the threshold, or several hours if it’s in the low 20s or lower.

Even if the temp probe is 2 degrees off it’s close enough.

I would set the threshold higher just to prove it turns on like it should, and then go back to how it was. Good catch tho, the peace of mind is priceless.

It seems like you had a freak weather anomaly where things are covered in snow without actually being freezing out. It happens. To freeze the water in the pipes above ground or the first few inches below ground, it needs to be actually freezing for days if it’s close to the threshold, or several hours if it’s in the low 20s or lower.

Even if the temp probe is 2 degrees off it’s close enough.

I would set the threshold higher just to prove it turns on like it should, and then go back to how it was. Good catch tho, the peace of mind is priceless.
So if I change it to 32 degrees. The freeze protection will operate? Or it should anyway?

I think you are overthinking this. Air temp is what triggers freeze protection, and the concept is to simply keep the water moving within your pipes so that it will not freeze.

Snow accumulating on your pump in air temps above the freeze protection threshold (~36 degrees) seems like an oddball weather phenomena. Regardless, your pipes should not freeze in that case and I dont think snow would be any more harmful than rain.

Reactions: Newdude
If you change it to 32 and it reads 32 then it should operate. That’s why you should test it at whatever temp you have now. Just to make sure it works. Keep in mind the temp probe might be a degree or 2 off and that’s close enough in the grand scheme of things.

I would want mine a couple of degrees higher than freezing to account for the inaccuracy, like 34-36.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I dropped air temp to 32 and a few moments later the freeze protection kicked in. So at least I know it does work.
Thanks everyone for helping
Thats weird. Was the air temp 32 or below at the time?

Also, my freeze protection is run through my automation but I do not see automation listed in your signature. Do you have automation, and what kind? If you do not have automation, what do you have that manages the freeze protection?

Thats weird. Was the air temp 32 or below at the time?

Also, my freeze protection is run through my automation but I do not see automation listed in your signature. Do you have automation, and what kind? If you do not have automation, what do you have that manages the freeze protection?
Actual air temp was 43. I change it to 32 under calibration settings in order to test.
I have pentair system with electric 3 way valves that switch between pool mode and spa mode.

Actual air temp was 43.
So you were free and clear ok. The atmosphere up high was cold and dumped snow faster than it could melt at 43. You see snow and think freeze but the pump says to chill out, It’s only 40 degrees. It happens a lot in places that are close to the snow/rain line.

Last night pumps came on around midnight and were still running just before 9am. I checked the temperature displayed air temp 37 degrees on controller. About 5 minutes later pumps went off at 38 degrees. Does that seem about right?
My digital thermometer on patio was showing 34.

What temperature is it set to activate ? Even if the sensor is off by a bit, it did its job with plenty of leeway to spare.

Air temperature decreases by 5.3F/3C degrees per thousand feet. Therefore the temperature can be below freezing at 1,000 - 2,000' or higher above the ground and snow forming and falling to the ground where the temperature is a few degrees above freezing. This a common weather phenomena.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.