Freeze Preparations (TX, LA, GA, AL, FL, etc)

I am planning on relying on wrapping exposed pipes / covering the equipment pad and freeze protection. I will drain components if I lose power.

Quesiton, should I preemptively drain the booster pump for the pressure side cleaner? It currently only runs 1.5 hrs, 1x per day.
Hey Salty, I'd be curious to hear how draining the booster pump works. When I tried to drain my Pentair Universal Booster Pump, via the white drain plug near the bottom, water never stopped coming out. I suspect the way it's connected to the system, it will keep draining as long as the filter pump is running or there is water in the filter tank higher than that drain--and that's the whole filter tank...and the pump will be running nonstop at 1850rpm as long as the temperature demands it. BTW, that pump went through the Feb 2021 freeze without being drained and was OK.

I pulled the drain plugs on the booster pump while the main pump was off and a small amount of water drained as expected. Once I turned the main pump back on, water was continuously draining from the booster pump. Does that mean I have flow through the booster even when its off?

I now recall that whenever I take the pressure cleaner out of the pool, it has a continuous return of water even when the cleaner / booster pump are off. Thoughts?
You probably have the booster taking water from the main pump return line so yes, the main pump will still push water through the booster lines.

Does that mean I have flow through the booster even when its off?
My apologies as I mis spoke earlier. Not the first time. :hammer: If your booster pump is plumbed like most, water is always flowing through it (from the main pump) unless the system is off. In this case, you'll want to ensure water is always moving. There are some owners who had their pad set up in such a way that they are able to isolate (bypass) flow to their booster pump, either with a 3-way valve or by modifying their booster water line to reroute it. Those aren't as common but some have done it. I'll go back and edit my earlier post to clarify. Thanks for posting the question.

Last edited:
Reactions: SaltyBHouston
Hey Salty, I'd be curious to hear how draining the booster pump works. When I tried to drain my Pentair Universal Booster Pump, via the white drain plug near the bottom, water never stopped coming out. I suspect the way it's connected to the system, it will keep draining as long as the filter pump is running or there is water in the filter tank higher than that drain--and that's the whole filter tank...and the pump will be running nonstop at 1850rpm as long as the temperature demands it. BTW, that pump went through the Feb 2021 freeze without being drained and was OK.
Hi Bowser, I pulled the plugs last night and experienced the same issue. See my post # 96...

I think it will probably be fine as long as the pumps running.

Reactions: BowserB
My apologies if I misled you or mis spoke earlier. Wouldn't be the first time. :hammer: If your booster pump is plumbed like most, water is probably always flowing through it (from the main pump) unless the system is off. In this case, you'll want to ensure water is always moving unless you were to disconnect the booster pump altogether and re-route the line. I'll go back and edit my earlier post to clarify. Thanks for the question.
Understood, thanks TX!

Over four years with the pool and still learning. Water flow through the booster line was today's new and welcome info. I haven't used the pressure side cleaner in a couple years or so since moving to a robot, but I have been every so often run the booster pump for five minutes or so thinking I needed to prevent stagnant water from growing algae. This thread was great news on two counts: No need to worry about stagnant water and no need to worry about freeze so long as the filter pump is running.

Now all I need is a way to get back at my landscape architect who put wax myrtles next to where he knew a pool was going. One million leaves in the pool and counting!

Time to up my status from Silver to Gold.

Over four years with the pool and still learning. Water flow through the booster line was today's new and welcome info. I haven't used the pressure side cleaner in a couple years or so since moving to a robot, but I have been every so often run the booster pump for five minutes or so thinking I needed to prevent stagnant water from growing algae. This thread was great news on two counts: No need to worry about stagnant water and no need to worry about freeze so long as the filter pump is running.

Now all I need is a way to get back at my landscape architect who put wax myrtles next to where he knew a pool was going. One million leaves in the pool and counting!

Time to up my status from Silver to Gold.
Leaves are a pain, especially when it's so freaking cold out. I am having to empty the skimmer every hour or so since it keeps getting filled with leaves. That's a lot of fun when it's 5 degrees and the wind is blowing at 50 MPH! 🥶🥶🥶

Ok, i have pool noodles in the skimmers and autofill. 2 tarps, an old carpet, an old grill cover on the equipment pad. Freeze protection is set to 2900 rpm. Weir doors are removed, and the backflow valve for the pool autofill is drained and heavily insulated. Anything else I might consider?

I'm in central NC and we're expecting to get temps in the low teens at night for the next 3-4 days with highs in the 30s during the day. I have kept my pool open (new pool) this winter since we have a spa that we use frequently even on cold days. I have 3 bubblers on one Hayward VSP pump and the spa/pool are on another pump + Jandy JXi heater. I keep the pumps running 24/7 on a schedule always.

10am - 9pm at 90% for pool
9pm - 10am at 69% for pool

During this time for one hour, the pool pump will switch over to the spillover for Spa. Runs at 100% from 4:30p - 5:30p everyday

The bubblers turn on every day at 3:30p until 5p at 25% speed. Then at 50% speed until 9p before they shut off.

Freeze protect is enabled for pool pump which will alternate between pool and spa mode (not spillover mode) when it engages
Freeze protect is enabled for the bubbler pump too

After reading through this thread, other than having a plan for a power outage. Is there anything else I should consider doing? I am not running the heater but is this something that needs to be in bypass? I read conflicting things here about that. It's a Jandy JXi 400k BTU heater.

This is my first winter with a pool (construction completed in August)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
is this something that needs to be in bypass? I read conflicting things here about that. It's a Jandy JXi 400k BTU heater.
I glanced at the manual but only saw the reference for long-term winterizing. Perhaps @ajw22 can help you out on that one.

Reactions: golovko
I am not running the heater but is this something that needs to be in bypass? I read conflicting things here about that. It's a Jandy JXi 400k BTU heater.
Do not bypass the heater. Let water run through it and do not run it.

Hey everyone. i'm in north atlanta where we're dropping to 14 tonight, have a high of 19 tomorrow, low of 9, and it looks like it'll be monday before the high gets above freezing temperatures again.
I was looking into how to winterize, but i've never done it before. I have a hayward sand filter.

I was reading one guide that said to drain the pool below the skimmer and return lines. does this mean the jets too? they're much lower than the skimmer in our pool so it means draining a lot.
I was under the impression that when I set the filter to backwash to drain it, it pulls the water from the skimmer basket area? or am I mistaken?
I do not have a compressed air pump to push water from the plumbing. I have a leaf blower, can I fashion some tube for that?
The same guide also said that i need to turn the valve to switch between the skimmer basket and the waterfall to blow air through each separately. none of the valves are labeled, how am I supposed to figure out which one to turn and what position it should be in? I have tried to find a video guide but everyone in them just seems to assume you're the one that installed the pool.
Then after I figure out how to empty all the plumbing of water, I can set the pump to winterize and unscrew the caps to drain the filter itself.
THEN I cover the equipment with moving blankets and a tarp.

Is this correct, am I missing any steps?

This is massively overwhelming and i've been working until 2am all week, now I suddenly need to figure out and deal with all this.
Scrolling through the thread are other people just leaving the pumps running? If you do get a powercut, do you then still need to do all the steps above and blow air through the lines? How do you drain the pool below the skimmer with no power?

edit2: Why are people putting pool noodles in the skimmer baskets while also leaving the pump/freeze protection running? I thought that was one or the other.

Last edited:
Do not bypass the heater. Let water run through it and do not run it.
Thanks! I assume that is the normal configuration where water runs through it all the time even when its not on? Or is that something I need to make happen when its off and want water running through it?

I also have my heater set to kick on if water temp goes below 37. Current water temp is 44…..fingers crossed. Open to advice!
Definitely check your heater manual. Mine (Pentaire Mastertemp 400) says:
OPERATING THIS HEATER CONTINUOUSLY AT WATER TEMPERATURE BELOW 68° F. WILL CAUSE HARMFUL
CONDENSATION AND WILL DAMAGE THE HEATER AND VOID THE WARRANTY.
**Added**
Yes I just saw @ajw22 's note. Good advice.

Thanks! I assume that is the normal configuration where water runs through it all the time even when its not on? Or is that something I need to make happen when its off and want water running through it?
Just normal configuration with pump on and heater off.

I pulled the drain plugs on the booster pump while the main pump was off and a small amount of water drained as expected. Once I turned the main pump back on, water was continuously draining from the booster pump. Does that mean I have flow through the booster even when its off?

I now recall that whenever I take the pressure cleaner out of the pool, it has a continuous return of water even when the cleaner / booster pump are off. Thoughts?
As others have replied - the return from pool feeds the inlet of the booster pump so you will get some flow through it continuously while in POOL Mode and pump running. That is a good thing for the pending freeze. The only additional item I am doing is that I set my cleaner to go on in very early morning just to circulate flow at a higher rate. When my cleaner turns on the VS pump is set to increase speed.
I also normally run my filter pump at 1500 rpm for majority of time. I increased that to 2000 rpm for the next several days to get good flow through the cleaner and heater (Heater is OFF but water flow through it).

As others have replied - the return from pool feeds the inlet of the booster pump so you will get some flow through it continuously while in POOL Mode and pump running. That is a good thing for the pending freeze. The only additional item I am doing is that I set my cleaner to go on in very early morning just to circulate flow at a higher rate. When my cleaner turns on the VS pump is set to increase speed.
I also normally run my filter pump at 1500 rpm for majority of time. I increased that to 2000 rpm for the next several days to get good flow through the cleaner and heater (Heater is OFF but water flow through it).
Does everyone increase their rpm? I normally run mine at 1600. Should I increase it?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.