Apr 9, 2019
Houston
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello,

I was told there is a way to add a freeze guard to my dual intermatic timer to turn on the pump when outside temps drops to a certain temperature. I've done some searching on google and see some devices but not sure if these are reliable devices or would work by my timer. My timer looks similar to the one in the image. The pump is the left timer and the polaris cleaner is the right. Currently, I manually turn on the pump when the temps are in the mid to low 30's.

Thanks,

Attachments

• intermatic dual timer.PNG
    intermatic dual timer.PNG
    78.5 KB · Views: 4
Hello,

I was told there is a way to add a freeze guard to my dual intermatic timer to turn on the pump when outside temps drops to a certain temperature. I've done some searching on google and see some devices but not sure if these are reliable devices or would work by my timer. My timer looks similar to the one in the image. The pump is the left timer and the polaris cleaner is the right. Currently, I manually turn on the pump when the temps are in the mid to low 30's.

Thanks,
Simplest way to protect your equipment without a freeze protection device is to run the pool in the early morning hours, from 2:00AM until at least 8:00AM or all night if needed, until the weather warms. Run the cleaner in between those hours and you should be good. Worked for me for 35 years, first with a single-speed and now a VSP, with no issues, even though my pump has it built in. I don't rely on it and don't have to worry, either.

Simplest way to protect your equipment without a freeze protection device is to run the pool in the early morning hours, from 2:00AM until at least 8:00AM or all night if needed, until the weather warms. Run the cleaner in between those hours and you should be good. Worked for me for 35 years, first with a single-speed and now a VSP, with no issues, even though my pump has it built in. I don't rely on it and don't have to worry, either.
Thanks 1poolman1,

what you suggested is what I have been doing during the very cold temps like what we had earlier this week. I thought I'd check just to see if there was a device to add to make it simpler during times when I may not be at home. I can just continue as I have.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.