Free Chlorine Amounts

Jun 13, 2018
Loganville, GA
Just opened my pool after being closed for 5 years and ran across this forum and have decided to try the methods described herein instead of being a puckster and adding algaecides all summer.

My question is about how much free chlorine should be in my pool and at what levels you can enter the pool safely.
Most places I have seen recommend levels between 1 and 3 with 2 being the desirable amount.
I have gotten my CYA up to 30 and according to the Chlorine/CYA chart the minimum chlorine I should have is 2 with a target of 4-6.
Walmart is selling Chlorinating Liquid that contains 10% Sodium Hypochlorite and on the label it says to maintain at level 1-3 for unstablized pools and 1 - 1.5 for stablized pools (no definition as to what level of CYA defines a stabalized pool). It also has a warning that you should not enter the pool unless Chlorine is < 4. So if I'm trying to maintain between 4 and 6, this is above the warning on this label. I want my pool to be safe for my grandkids so the truth would be appreciated.

Welcome to the forum!

The FC as shown in the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA] is safe to swim in up to shock level. Even at what appears to be very high FC, the active chlorine is less than in a public pool with 0 CYA and 2 ppm CYA. Even drinking water systems are allowed to have 4 ppm chlorine in them.

How are you testing your water?

Glad to have you here on the forum.

Thanks for the prompt reply. I have been using a PoolMaster 5 way test kit along with a Blue Devil CYA test kit. Just ordered a TF-100 test kit per recommendations on this site. Since I posted I was able to find old information in this forum that confirmed what you said above. I just get nervous with all the warnings. Think I'll go out and drink some pool water. Just Kidding!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.