Freakishly high CH and high TA !

DMS2014

Silver Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 22, 2014
Houston, Texas
OMG. I got a 625 reading on my CH and 110 on my TA! I have NEVER EVER gotten 625 on my CH. My chems have been successfully balanced all summer long. The TA, I think I got that number once or twice in 5 years. I even had my husband retest them! Got the same results!

What the heck? I bought new chemicals when TFP had the sale. I got them earlier this month. I date all my chems.

My husband just tested them both and got the exact same result. Please, any thoughts? My results last week were NOT this. They were Normal. Acid was high but....

Go over your testing protocol. For CH you used a 25 ml sample. It took 25 drops to turn blue. Correct?

You are correct! OK -- The TA can be high due to static on the bottle of new reagent. See the Extended Test Directions in Pool School.

Does your CH test go to purple and eventually blue?

"The sample may turn purple during the test, or go to blue for a moment and then turn back to red/pink. This is called a “fading endpoint” and is caused by interference from metal ions. If this happens, do the test again, but this time add five drops of R-0012 before adding any R-0010 or R-0011L. Remember to count the initial five drops in the total.
In extreme cases, a fading endpoint may occur even when adding five drops of R-0012 at the start. If that happens, mix pool water with an equal quantity of distilled water, test that, and then multiply the result by two."

A CH of 625 is not that big of a deal. Especially for you as you get rain and you can lower it over time.

I manage my pool water until CH reaches 800+ ppm.

You are correct! OK -- The TA can be high due to static on the bottle of new reagent. See the Extended Test Directions in Pool School.

Does your CH test go to purple and eventually blue?
It stays pink and then a little purple and then blue on the 25th drop. I watched my husband do it and it did the exact same thing. And I don’t know what “static on the bottle of new reagent means”

For TA testing - new reagent:
"Sometimes a static electric charge can build up on the R-0009 dropper bottle tip, causing the drops to be smaller than usual and making the test read higher than actual. You can prevent this by wipping the tip of the dropper bottle with a damp cloth or tissue before you start and after each drop."

"The sample may turn purple during the test, or go to blue for a moment and then turn back to red/pink. This is called a “fading endpoint” and is caused by interference from metal ions. If this happens, do the test again, but this time add five drops of R-0012 before adding any R-0010 or R-0011L. Remember to count the initial five drops in the total.
In extreme cases, a fading endpoint may occur even when adding five drops of R-0012 at the start. If that happens, mix pool water with an equal quantity of distilled water, test that, and then multiply the result by two."

A CH of 625 is not that big of a deal. Especially for you as you get rain and you can lower it over time.

I manage my pool water until CH reaches 800+ ppm.
Ok. Just followed your suggestion and got the exact.same.result of 25.....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That would have no effect on Calcium Hardness. I suspect you have been adding water due to evaporation and your fill water has some CH in it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.