Fragile Pentair LCD Panel??

Joshii

Jul 15, 2013
Not very happy with my pump right now. Going on its third season. I fire it up: I can barely read the LCD panel. Anyone else have this happen? Will this be covered under warranty? I try to take good care of my equipment!

Last edited by a moderator:

ajw22

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 21, 2013
Northern NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
We have lots of folks with Pentair pumps and I have not heard of this problem.

How old is your pump? Is it under warranty?

ogdento

Bronze Supporter
Mar 30, 2015
Chico, CA
It looks to me like there's some dirt/contamination in the internal connection between the board and the lcd glass. Lcds typically use an elastomeric connector or "zebra strip" to connect to the board.

...If it's not covered by warranty I'd carefully take it apart and clean the elastomer, the board pads and the lcd with 90% or better Isopropyl alcohol. Let it dry completely before putting it back together.

Joshii

Jul 15, 2013
Ogdento, that did the trick! I disassembled the LCD panel and let it air out. I put it back together and it's fine now.
Since this isn't a part you touch when installing the pump, it was likely a defect in manufacturing / original assembly. Would you agree? Should I bring this up with Pentair in case it causes any future issues?

ajw22

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 21, 2013
Northern NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
I wouldn’t say anything to Pentair.

ogdento

Bronze Supporter
Mar 30, 2015
Chico, CA
I agree with Allen's suggestion not to say anything, I'd hate for it to ruin any warranty you've got left.

I'm curious, is your pump covered? With all the moisture problems these keypads seem to have, I'm wondering how many of them have a weather cover of some sort over them, or if they're just out in the elements. (Mine has no cover, I'm in CA)

Forgot to mention... I'm glad you got it working!! ;)

Joshii

Jul 15, 2013
Thanks, everyone. It is out in the open during the swimming months. For pool closing, I winterize it according to the instructions and put a rubbermade bin over it to protect it from snow.

What I did this time during re-assembly of the keypad is I lubed up the gaskets quite a bit and made sure the screws were nice and tight. I'm not sure what else I can do. It would be beyond dumb if I have to bring my pump in the house over the winter.

ogdento

Bronze Supporter
Mar 30, 2015
Chico, CA
Smart play to cover it in the winter!

I've been contemplating making one of these rounded covers to protect the vfd, but it doesn't rain out here in the summer.

1557175230017.png

ncinthenext3

Jun 16, 2009
Michigan
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
I did get this fixed! I'll try again to upload photos. I'm getting error messages trying to do it from my phone. Long story short, after taking off the lcd assembly I discovered the two female connections that accept the screws that hold the lcd display to the elastomer connections had separated form the board. An obvious pentair defect. Some super glue to reattach them to the board and some weather stripping behind the lcd panel and on the panel cover gives me enough contact pressure to bring the lcd readout back to life. All contacts cleaned, and gaskets lubed/sealed. I didn't have moisture intrusion or corrosion. Just a poor elastomer connection due to Crud quality. I'll let you know if it holds up but I'm happy as heck!!

Last edited:

ncinthenext3

Jun 16, 2009
Michigan
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
20210427_175909.jpgHere was the inital problem. No idea how those became detached from the board. 20210427_180104.jpgCleaned all connections, even though it looked factory fresh. 20210427_195328.jpgThis is where I stacked the weather stripping to ensure the elastomers make contact with the board. 20210427_203050.jpg Suprisingly enough, it worked!

Thanks everyone here for the assistance. I never imagined I could repair that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Joshii

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support