Forgot to switch pump to recirculate when adding floc (sand filter)

Jonanatan

Aug 20, 2021
Toronto
I'm trying to clean algae out of the pool. I added algaecide a day ago and just added floc to assist with the process of clumping the particles to the bottom of the pool. After pouring the floc I remembered that I was supposed to put the setting to recirculate instead of filter. The floc instructions say to turn off the pump in 2 hours and let the particles settle. I have a sand filter and slowly poured the floc into the skimmer. Am I okay or should I do something instead of proceeding as if nothing happened (vacuum to waste after 12-24 hours). Thanks.

Well all of the floc is now in the sand so it will not do any good in the pool. You are going to need to remove and replace the sand as it is likely to be all "gummed up" from the floc.
On the instructions it says to just leave it on filter and pour the floc on the surface of the pool (diluted with water) if you don't have a recirculate option. So I'm wondering if the sand really does need to be replaced if other pools can handle it that don't have recirculate. Thanks.

You will be able to tell as soon as you open the filter and look at and feel the sand. All of the floc went into the sand when it was poured into the skimmer. The above way of throwing it on top of the water makes it where very little of the floc goes into the filter until it is time to vacuum. I am sure it also did not say you would need to replace the cartridge filter if you do vacuum the floc up.

You will be able to tell as soon as you open the filter and look at and feel the sand. All of the floc went into the sand when it was poured into the skimmer. The above way of throwing it on top of the water makes it where very little of the floc goes into the filter until it is time to vacuum. I am sure it also did not say you would need to replace the cartridge filter if you do vacuum the floc up.
What should I see and feel when I open the filter and look at the sand. Thanks for the replies.

@Jonanatan it looks like you are new to TFP. I suggest that you look around the forums and do some homework about algaecides and floc. Two horrible products that cause more problems then fix. Also, Algaecides do nothing when you have algae present. Trouble Free Pool community don't recommend you use either and @kimkats was correct. She is a very knowledgeable member of this community. Come back and ask more questions and we can teach you everything you need to know about your pool and how to affectively maintain it.

Reactions: Newdude
The sand should move freely around your fingers. There should not be any clumps or "goop" or slime in the sand.

Once we get past the floc we can and will teach you how to properly care for your pool so you will not have to worry about algae again!!

Reactions: Newdude
ff the crud doesn't settle to the bottom of the pool then it is in your sand. I have used floc "successfully" a number of times back in the old days before TFP. You know, when the normal algae blooms happen in August because of the monsoons. *eye roll*

it can help settle a pile of algae to the bottom if you have a safe way to vacuum it out (I used to siphon it and not use the filter at all)

see if that happens and get rid of it that way, plan to maybe change your sand out (not that big of a deal) and then read pool school, get a good test kit, learn to take care of your water easily and cheaply by staying away from pool stores. and never need to think of algaecides or clarifiers/flocs again.

Reactions: kimkats
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.