Gold Supporter
Jul 3, 2018
SC
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
In fairness, this is a reputable family-owned and operated pool builder and retail store. They know I use TFP methods and respect it. The have 12.5% chlorine (Austin's @$4.50/g this year), know freshness is key (got 19-112 today!), store it inside, and will also deliver it the next day for no extra charge. As far as pool stores, they could be worse. They have a patio store too so I try to support them there by purchasing chairs and umbrellas. They are letting me test drive a Polaris 9450 FREE for a week so I went to pick it up today and took a water sample in. They use a fancy ClearCare Expert(tm) system. I had run my TFT100 tests about 30 minutes prior. Below is the comparison. The alkalinity was stipulated as 'adjusted' - not sure what it means.

Parameter Pool Store TF-100
FC 5.69 5.5
CC .15 0
pH 8 7.5
Alk 61 110
CH 195 225
CyA 51 40

Trying not to be a jerk but I mentioned our differences in Alk and pH, he immediately whipped out some standards to calibrate his system. His new results put pH at 7.6 and Alk at 90. He ran a drop test on the latter and got 100 so we called that a draw. He said they calibrated every Monday but admitted their logs looked as if it had been missed this past Monday. He said drop tests are best, said to trust them first, they used to do them, but the "kids he hires these days must not be taught to count or concentrate. They can manage technology just fine though."

The moral here is there are some decent pool stores, few and far between, but only if they calibrate often. It also shows how quickly systems become out of whack and yield inaccurate results. Meanwhile, I'm enjoying watching the Polaris do my dirty work.

Last edited:
Notice that once they calibrate their unit it comes in to line with the TF-100? A test kit that doesn't require calibration? In other words, you have a better test kit than their wiz-bang ClearCare Expert sales tool. Just think about that for a moment, did they buy that unit because it is better than your $60 one (which we already have seen it isn't) or because they want a cool looking piece of tech on their desk that convinces people to bring in a sample?

Good or bad, that thing is a loss leader designed to make sales. Accuracy is only a concern when it might cost them a sale, which they proved nicely when they didn't bother calibrating the unit until someone called them out on the results. He can blame "kids these days" all he wants, but he didn't even calibrate the unit for it to work correctly. So I call that an outright lie. And let's face it, if he can't even hire people who can count drops, then do you really trust them with anything pool related?

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.