For those that followed my saga of choosing a tub thought you might want to see the end result

GCS

Jul 28, 2008
Porch is now 99% done some minor trim left to put up that I should be able to do in the next day or so but otherwise it’s basically finished

The ceiling was a massive amount of work every board was cut and nailed in place. It took me two weeks to get it done working evenings and weekends with temps 98+ and 90+ humidity everyday. Darn near killed me. And I had to build a platform out of 2x6s and 2x12s to do the area over the tub. Pro tip finish your room/area especially the ceiling BEFORE your tub goes in there. Would have been so much easier 😉

Anyway we have owned the tub for 2 weeks and have been in every night. It has been insanely helpful with the aches and pains of working on the porch and moving my kids to their apartment (4 flights of steps in this same heat). This tub has been the only reason we were able to get up the next day after their move.

Thanks to everyone who gave advice and read my diatribe each post. Happy tubbing!

7B1AABDE-D4C8-4C29-8AD3-6DD19729659C.jpegE60721A5-D2AB-410E-A7AC-992D02A2F72D.jpegE60721A5-D2AB-410E-A7AC-992D02A2F72D.jpeg2B420F80-B90D-497F-B23F-632BE39C66C2.jpegB60CF228-81F7-4123-A67B-63AC8150EE85.jpeg9FBBBC78-8ABC-472F-8A75-5C21A038290F.jpegEC20776C-48DF-4319-8945-BAF64D874FC4.jpeg12401BA5-3E2B-49B1-B58B-7A5DCF215B0C.jpegDE74F27E-2130-45D5-9B80-8F38167A67B7.jpeg2DA9F5CB-2D1F-46E8-83BD-15765FBF3D58.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: Newdude
Thanks guys. The ceiling was work for sure and probably the hardest part of the project. Lots of weird cuts to make in corners, edges, and particularly had to get creative on the overhang in front of the door. We were pretty happy with how it ended up. And god bless the wife as she was a huge help this Sat when we went for home stretch. I was stuck on my makeshift platform doing the work and she took it upon herself to do the cutting. She is deathly afraid of using power tools but once I showed her how to use the miter saw she was like lets get it done. By her doing that it saved me tons of time as all I had to do was mark each board then nail them up. Getting on and off that platform would have added at least another day to job.

Still need to get my ladder out of there and paint the exterior door (years of dog marks on it). Finishing up the inside trim work tonight. It was also nice to finally get to put the grill back on the deck so we could use it too.

There are a few things we would have done differently but for the most part it came out like I imagined.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I used to work on spas in a strip club. I went in with long rubber gloves and a gallon of liquid shock, then went back out for a smoke and my tools. It smelled like a public pool in the bar before I would let that water touch me. Only then would I start working on it. :sick:
I charged them double.

• Haha
Reactions: A.O. and Newdude
It looks great

I don't know if it counts as an indoor or outdoor location, but be aware there are codes for where you can put a fan, and what sort of fan.

You may be safe and not try to adjust the fan or change the light bulb while standing in the tub, but your homeowners insurance and any potential future buyers may feel differently.

E4203.4.1 Outdoor Location​

In outdoor pool, outdoor spas and outdoor hot tubs areas, luminaires, lighting outlets, and ceiling-suspended paddle fans shall not be installed over the pool or over the area extending 5 feet (1524 mm) horizontally from the inside walls of a pool except where no part of the luminaire or ceiling-suspended paddle fan is less than 12 feet (3658 mm) above the maximum water level.

E4203.4.2 Indoor Locations​

In indoor pool areas, the limitations of Section E4203.4.1 shall apply except where the luminaires, lighting outlets and ceiling-suspended paddle fans comply with all of the following conditions:
  1. The luminaires are of a totally enclosed type;
  2. A ground-fault circuit interrupter is installed in the branch circuit supplying the luminaires or ceiling-suspended (paddle) fans; and
  3. The distance from the bottom of the luminaire or ceiling-suspended (paddle) fan to the maximum water level is not less than 7 feet, 6 inches (2286 mm).

Reactions: RDspaguy
It looks great

I don't know if it counts as an indoor or outdoor location, but be aware there are codes for where you can put a fan, and what sort of fan.

You may be safe and not try to adjust the fan or change the light bulb while standing in the tub, but your homeowners insurance and any potential future buyers may feel differently.

E4203.4.1 Outdoor Location​

In outdoor pool, outdoor spas and outdoor hot tubs areas, luminaires, lighting outlets, and ceiling-suspended paddle fans shall not be installed over the pool or over the area extending 5 feet (1524 mm) horizontally from the inside walls of a pool except where no part of the luminaire or ceiling-suspended paddle fan is less than 12 feet (3658 mm) above the maximum water level.

E4203.4.2 Indoor Locations​

In indoor pool areas, the limitations of Section E4203.4.1 shall apply except where the luminaires, lighting outlets and ceiling-suspended paddle fans comply with all of the following conditions:
  1. The luminaires are of a totally enclosed type;
  2. A ground-fault circuit interrupter is installed in the branch circuit supplying the luminaires or ceiling-suspended (paddle) fans; and
  3. The distance from the bottom of the luminaire or ceiling-suspended (paddle) fan to the maximum water level is not less than 7 feet, 6 inches (2286 mm).
Is that national building codes?? Or NJ codes?

Hey GCS... were just messing with ya, everything turned out great and it was fun watching from when you just "wanted" a hot tub along your journey to completion!! Me, I prefer to see out when I'm in my tub, but that's me.. and I have no neighbors to look back!

Hey GCS... were just messing with ya, everything turned out great and it was fun watching from when you just "wanted" a hot tub along your journey to completion!! Me, I prefer to see out when I'm in my tub, but that's me.. and I have no neighbors to look back!
No worries and yes it would be nice to look out as well and we do often leave the curtains open but when your wife wants it private you do what she asks. If we were exhibitionists well there would be no curtains no screen no walls etc etc 😉

Reactions: A.O.
Is that national building codes?? Or NJ codes?

That is from the 2000 IRC I believe. I don't know what year. It also depends on what year of the IRC your local jurisdiction has adopted.

It is code in the town in NJ that I live in.

It is also section 680 subsection C of the National Electric Code, from at least 2008. Says basically the exact same thing.

The NEC changes their codes, and then municipalities adopt those changes on their own schedule.

For example here are two changes that are in the 2020 code

• 680.7 – Terminals used for equipment grounding must be listed for use in wet and corrosive environments.
  • 680.9 – The requirements for overhead power now apply to all conductors and not just overhead service conductors.
This pertains to pools. So if your town has not yet adopted the 2020 code, then you can use off the shelf lugs from the big box store to bond and ground your pool. If it has adopted the code, now you need to fine stainless steel ones that are listed by the manufacture for use in wet and corrosive environments. Notice what the code says, it must be listed. That means even if it is stainless steel, unless the manufacturer lists that it is wet and corrosive approved, you can't use it.

Also, previously the code said you could not have overhead service conductors (the stuff feeding you house) over your pool. It said nothing about extension cords, an extension going to your barn, or an overhead feed for your pole mounted pool lights. Now those are specifically excluded as well.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.