NE Surfer

May 7, 2020
Coastal Massachusetts
Hello TFP,

Putting up my first permanent AGP, had a smaller ultra-frame pool for the last 4 years - now looking at 24' x 54" circular saltwater AGP. I would like to drop the middle down 18" with an expandable liner. I didn't see many threads on this type of set up?

Any suggestions on how to prepare the base and whether I can "safely" use XPS foam as a base given the slope down to in the middle?

I would like to use a foam base if possible... suggestions on whether I should start with 1" of sand then the XPS, or use something more like stone dust under the foam?

Thanks in advance!

Several people have made their middle deeper without any problems. As for adding the foam...........it is going to be hard as you will have to shave the edges down to make it smooth from one board to the other at an angle.

Thanks.
Anyone have any firsthand experience, or try foam with expandable liners?
I’m a brand new Intex pool owner, current doing my install. I can tell you that the pink extruded 4ft x 8 ft 1/2 inch thick foam doesn’t seem very flexible to me, as I had a tough time even bending it more than an inch or so to squeeze it into my SUV driving home from the store. I thought it was going to snap on me if It bent any further.

Reactions: kimkats
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.