Flying Insect Pest Control

V.Todd

Jul 8, 2019
Oxford, Mississippi
HI..So i finally got my pool installed in August (my first). Didn't think ahead about the bugs that would also like to share my pool. I live in N. Mississippi..in the country over a lake surrounded by heavy woods. So bugs aplenty. I tried the Black Flag bug zapper which only attracted moths as far as I could tell. I left is out night and day for over a week and only had moths and not enough mosquitoes to cover my palm.
Before I venture into other more expensive areas I would like to hear what has worked for you. My biggest problem is bees and horseflies! The citronella torches seem to work OK on the mosquitoes but not great. I use a thremo cell on my porch but not effective in such an open environment as my pool.
Thank you in advance for your feed back.
V

Sometimes those critters can really be a pain. It's hard to find something that is both reliable and safe around the pool. Various citronella products is our #1 technique - both the torches and candle pots. I think I've read where some might try baiting the instects to a different location in hopes they congregate somewhere else as opposed to the pool.

Can’t help you with the bees, but for for biting insects, ie mosquitos the best thing that has worked for me is a mosquito magnet. They are a little pricey and require that you change the propane tank about every 3 weeks (which is a real pain). Also they add a chemical attractant that makes them work better. If you are meticulous with them they really do work.

At one point all that work annoyed me so much I now have them hooked directly to my underground propane tank so they can go several months without maintenance.

Someone recently posted that citronella plants work better then candles.

Someone recently posted that citronella plants work better then candles.

It was me. I was the biggest skeptic possible from having had every last candle/trap infused with citronella never work. The plants are amazing.

Just plain old citronella plants from the local greenhouse. I imagine you can ship them if they arent local.

I would wait for next season by you. They dodnt survive the cold so you have to bring them inside. We buy little pots in the spring for about $10 each and they easily quadruple in size.

Reactions: freebsdrules

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.