Fluctuating FC

Nillawafers

May 24, 2019
San Gabriel, CA
How much is too much? Last week I SLAMed successfully, although I ran out of reagent which was backordered - I got the new reagent and tested last Friday, everything was within range, .5 ppm CC. I had been adding around 2-3 cups of bleach blindly during the week I was waiting for my reagent to show up.

Now, almost a week later and not as blindly, I am noticing my FC is fluctuating, how much is normal? I have been testing at mostly the same time. My kids swim everyday, and each morning I add enough to bump the FC to the top of the parameters (7 ppm) and in the morning it is without fail 3-3.5 (at the bottom). This morning it was closer to a 2/2.5 ( it was very slightly pink before I added another drop to clear it).

How much fluctuation is normal? I felt the SLAM went pretty well, and the algae that was showing up on the bottom has not shown up for 4-5 days now. I am adding 3 cups a day and pretty much struggling to keep it within parameters (this morning it was below).

What’s the % of the liquid chlorine you’re using?

24oz (3 cups) of 10% LC raises your FC by 5.7ppm whereas 6% bleach would only raise it by 3.5ppm.

You have a very small volume pool (3,300 gallons) and it sounds like a fairly high bather-load. Typical chlorine loss per day is 2-4ppm but in your situation with shallow water, low volume and sunshine, it can easily be higher.

FC loss will fluctuate. How sunny it is, how many bathers you had, did any one pee in the pool, etc. That is why it is best to target the upper end of the FC range for your CYA.

What’s the % of the liquid chlorine you’re using?

24oz (3 cups) of 10% LC raises your FC by 5.7ppm whereas 6% bleach would only raise it by 3.5ppm.

You have a very small volume pool (3,300 gallons) and it sounds like a fairly high bather-load. Typical chlorine loss per day is 2-4ppm but in your situation with shallow water, low volume and sunshine, it can easily be higher.
It’s 6% bleach. I have been adding what pool math suggests each time. I raise it to the top, I just worry when I test in the morning and it’s below parameters that it’s low enough that something will take hold KWIM?

I’m not complaining haha, just worried about it dipping below what it should. Is there anything I can do to prevent that? Besides maybe shading the pool more or something?

ETA: would raising it above (slightly) parameters be detrimental? So that it stays within parameters longer?

ETA: would raising it above (slightly) parameters be detrimental? So that it stays within parameters longer?
You need to raise the FC enough that it stays above the minimum FC for your CYA. As Matt said, small pool volume, high bather load. Add more bleach each night. Increase it to a full quart and see how it goes. Or get 10% from Walmart.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.