Flow Issue (Help!)

codymasters

May 13, 2024
Granville, Ohio
I am having issues with flow... I have a cartridge filtration system and typically in the past when I have a reduction in flow it is due to a dirty filter (when I take the filter out and run pump with no filter the flow/pressure is perfect) however, after cleaning the filter I placed the cartridge back in the filter system and it is still showing severely restricted flow. I used a filter cleaning product and a high pressure hose, so I believe the cartridge to be clean (significantly cleaner than prior) and am shocked at how much a difference in flow occurs when the cartridge is put back in the system.

(note for context: the cartridge is only 1 month old, so even if it is not cleaned perfectly, I would think that it would not be causing such a severe reduction. I really do not want to be buying new filters monthly, nor do I think that is a realistic remedy)

Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Cody,

Cartridges should last for many years.. I changed mine at 8 years and it hardly made any difference at all..

In your case, I suspect you added something to your pool that collected in the filter..

What chemicals have you recently added???

Thanks,

Jim R.

Last edited:
I have not added too many chemicals to the pool lately. I shocked the pool a couple weeks ago after we opened it then I added some Clorox "crazy clarifier".

(Also worth noting, for the past two days my Autopilot was producing an error reading that the purifier was off and to check flow, but I was able to remedy this error message by cleaning out the union screen that was full of debris. I am no longer receiving the error message even though the flow has been dramatically reduced).

I am having issues with flow... I have a cartridge filtration system and typically in the past when I have a reduction in flow it is due to a dirty filter (when I take the filter out and run pump with no filter the flow/pressure is perfect) however, after cleaning the filter I placed the cartridge back in the filter system and it is still showing severely restricted flow. I used a filter cleaning product and a high pressure hose, so I believe the cartridge to be clean (significantly cleaner than prior) and am shocked at how much a difference in flow occurs when the cartridge is put back in the system.

(note for context: the cartridge is only 1 month old, so even if it is not cleaned perfectly, I would think that it would not be causing such a severe reduction. I really do not want to be buying new filters monthly, nor do I think that is a realistic remedy)

Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

I used that cr@p when we first bought the house and it gummed up my old Pentair DE filter grid really bad.

How are you determining that there is restricted flow? By a high pressure valve reading on the filter or do you have one mounted somewhere else in the system (after the filter)?

Way less scientific, my four fountains (which usually, and esp. with no filter, shoot 12-18 inches in the air) and water barely trickles out of them at all. Additionally, I can feel a massive difference in the flow from the jets, even when the pump is operating at full capacity.

then I added some Clorox "crazy clarifier

Well... Where to you think the clarifier went??? :mrgreen:

Let's think about...

You can run without the cartridge and you get plenty of flow, but with the cartridge installed it no longer works.

What else can it be??

Let's see if Matt has any ideas how how to clean your cartridge... Calling @JoyfulNoise

Thanks,

Jim R.

Well... Where to you think the clarifier went??? :mrgreen:

Let's think about...

You can run without the cartridge and you get plenty of flow, but with the cartridge installed it no longer works.

What else can it be??

Let's see if Matt has any ideas how how to clean your cartridge... Calling @JoyfulNoise

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thank you for the help! Wonder what tips you all have for cleaning the filter or if that clarifier gunked up the filter beyond repair...

You probably need new filter cartridges at this point. Adding any form of clarifier or floc to a cartridge filter system is a recipe for disaster. The clarifier, along with all the crud it has picked up, will get embedded into the filter media and basically plug it up. No amount of cleaning chemicals will remove it as you have forced it deep into the fibers.

Thank you for the help! Wonder what tips you all have for cleaning the filter or if that clarifier gunked up the filter beyond repair...
When you chemically cleaned the cartridge, was it an acid cleaning? If so it is very likely the cartridge is destroyed. Using acid before removing any oils will form an irremovable coating on the fabric.

Reactions: Jimrahbe
In general, other than clarifiers or floc, are there other chemicals (products) to avoid, as it relates to gumming up/ruining a cartridge? I certainly do not want to be ignorantly using chemicals that will end up costing me time and money by replacing a $120 filter (as you can tell I am a newer pool owner).

Also, because I have been dealing with this issue and as a result the purifier has been off, my water is very cloudy and looks like there is some algae. I have been reading on this site about the SLAM process and was wondering if I did this, should I wait until I can put in a new filter in? I would assume that I should delay any attempt at clearing up my water until I can get rid of my gummed up old filter?

Thanks in advance.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Cody,

None of the products that we recommend will clog up your filter.

That said, Pool Stores sell a massive amount of "Magic" potions that I have never tried... :scratch:

I would assume if you stay away from anything that appears to be a Floc-like product that promises an instant fixe for your pool, you should be ok.

What kind of filter do you have? $120 bucks for one cartridge seems to be pretty high to me..

Thanks,

Jim R.