Flock stuff not sinking

bradlyk8

Jun 18, 2019
Double Springs, AL
Used Pool Life Back to Blue 30+ hours later the first image. Being dumb I tried to recirculate to get some down on the bottom it didn’t help at all obviously. Last night we took a net and scooped a lot of it out off the top. Still has a filmy later on the top second and third images. What will I need to do. This pool had not been opened in two years and we had already shocked it and had it cloudy we also had put in baking soda, changed the filter, and then the pool place said to use the back to blue system and wanted us to use two boxes of it.

Attachments

• 924D6957-D163-45DC-965B-30EC831947CB.jpeg
    924D6957-D163-45DC-965B-30EC831947CB.jpeg
    669.7 KB · Views: 34
  • 9DF59E1A-B127-4D1D-8CBF-DA513C034A6B.jpeg
    9DF59E1A-B127-4D1D-8CBF-DA513C034A6B.jpeg
    388.4 KB · Views: 36
  • 044D89DE-1E21-4F62-9134-95E9D5C8F2DD.jpeg
    044D89DE-1E21-4F62-9134-95E9D5C8F2DD.jpeg
    403.1 KB · Views: 32
Bradly,

Welcome to TFP and sorry you have to deal with such a nasty pool. Good news is you've found the right place. We use TFP methods that are based on proven science and they work for everybody without expensive and often incorrect advice from pool stores. Your pool needs more than the standard treatment but you'll need a test kit to start. Suggest you order a TF 100 kit with the XL option. Also, read through the Pool School link to the left. You may also want to check out the Beginner's link below. While you're doing this I'll pin an expert to help you through the process. You'll be amazed at how well this will work but you must follow their advice diligently. Any questions no matter how insignificant are most welcomed. We don't sell anything so our advice is never conflicted. Since you're starting from a very nasty pool that already probably has been messed up with unnecessary pool store recommended chemicals I'll get you in touch with a couple of experts @mknauss @kimkats .

It will be helpful if you can list all chemicals you've added since opening and any chemicals you used previously to treat the pool. Also, please fill in your signature which will insert important features of your pool and equipment/equipment models so our experts don't have to ask cycles of questions that delays getting their advice to you. Click on your screen name above right, then click "signature" then fill in the information in the window and press Save.

As bad as all this seems right now. In a very short while you'll be on your way to pool perfection bliss the TFP way. Cheap, and works great! We have thousands of members that are living proof.

I hope this helps!

Chris

Order the right test kit and while you wait for it, read up on Pool School. Start with the basics:
ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

The information in Pool School is faster than typing questions sometimes! :laughblue:

As you have probably heard, we don't go for mystery potions that make a lot of promises yet rarely ever do they keep them. In fact, based on the number of folks here who have left their paychecks at Leslies's then go researching a better way, I'd say none of their advice or potions are worth a hill of beans!!

Please also fill out a signature line (find it under "Settings") so we all know all the details about your pool and equipment, along with how you normally chlorinate.

Maddie :flower:

Welcome to the forum!
What is the cost of your water and can you do a hefty water exchange to get rid of some of the contaminants before moving forward?

Let us know if you are interested in following TFPC.

Should be around 25000 gallon IG vinyl. Hayward S244T filter. A O Smith pump 1hp. Pentair Model 320 automatic chlorine/bromine in-line feeder
Had put 5 gallons of shock first picture
Then 1 gallon of Austin’s Pool Tech Algecide
Took sample to pool place said we needed 12-14 lbs of sodium bicarbonate then took sample 2 days later that was the trip they said to use the pool life back to blue system 2 of them and you can see it looked to never settle probably got a little impatient. With what we got out yesterday it I can see bottom of shallow end and to where the bottom starts at the deep end. Should I go ahead and vacuum what I can see very slowly or do I need to add anything? Also had some HTH 6 way test strips results in last picture. I’m fixing to fix my signature line just typed this out on phone to add the pictures easier.

Attachments

• F9C48908-53E8-412C-B0D8-91EEF6C480C3.jpeg
    F9C48908-53E8-412C-B0D8-91EEF6C480C3.jpeg
    406.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 0AE7B39D-019D-4AD9-9F2A-68FFA1A2732C.jpeg
    0AE7B39D-019D-4AD9-9F2A-68FFA1A2732C.jpeg
    473.4 KB · Views: 7
We call those "guess" strips as they tend to be more wrong than right. We CAN get you pool clean!

Lets get back to Marty's question. Is there any reason you cannot drain about 3/4 of your pool and refill? You would need to leave about a foot of water in the shallow end.

The Back to Blue stuff may or may not have helped. Things will go faster if you can drain some water and refill.

You do NEED to get a good test kit. With it being green like that you really need to get the TF-100XL so we can clear that bad boy. Look in my siggy to find the link to the good test kit.

If you cannot or do not want to drain any of your water you can add a jug of PLAIN bleach or chlorine a day while you wait on your good test kit. This will keep it from getting any worse.

So what are your thoughts after reading all of our replies?

Should be around 25000 gallon IG vinyl. Hayward S244T filter. A O Smith pump 1hp. Pentair Model 320 automatic chlorine/bromine in-line feeder
Had put 5 gallons of shock first picture
Then 1 gallon of Austin’s Pool Tech Algecide
Took sample to pool place said we needed 12-14 lbs of sodium bicarbonate then took sample 2 days later that was the trip they said to use the pool life back to blue system 2 of them and you can see it looked to never settle probably got a little impatient. With what we got out yesterday it I can see bottom of shallow end and to where the bottom starts at the deep end. Should I go ahead and vacuum what I can see very slowly or do I need to add anything? Also had some HTH 6 way test strips results in last picture. I’m fixing to fix my signature line just typed this out on phone to add the pictures easier.

Bradly,

You've heard from a couple of fabulous experts plus a moderator/expert. Here at TFP we make pool care straightforward, easy to do, and mostly using generic chemicals that are dirt cheap compared to pool potions sold at pool stores. Your pool is pretty messed up and is very likely cheaper to drain and refill rather than continue to pour money down the drain. If you take this route and then use TFP you'll have a sparkling pool for a little effort and some cheap chemicals. Plus, you'll know exactly what's in your pool. If you encounter any problems with your pool or equipment you'll also have access to experts on everything pool. And all of us with absolutely nothing to sell so you can be sure the advice is not conflicted.

You will need a test kit, and there are a couple to choose from. These give you the highest quality results consistently which are used to help you easily keep your pool balance. You'll be free of the conflicted advice and seemingly random sales of expensive chemicals that often make things worse. If you chose to try TFP you'll have an entire team of people dedicated to help you learn quickly the TFP method. If you chose not to do it now, we'll always be here in the future if you change your mind.

Good luck and I hope this is helpful.

Chris

Sorry for the slow response. I’ve been traveling and haven’t been able to have good cell service. We have a well for water supply. Due to this I am unable to drain the suggested amount and refill due to it being summer and I do not want to compromise my well. In the past you could pay the fire dept to come and fill, but they no longer do this. I am having difficulty vacuuming to waste as the pool store suggested after the floc d/t water level dropping too low. We have been adding water slowly. Can I turn my pump back to filter before I get the floc completely vacuumed out?

If you filter floc through the sand filter, once it is gone, you will need to change the sand in the filter. You may as well plan on that.

If draining is not an option, get a test kit on order as shown in above posts. While you are waiting on your test kit, add 5 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine / plain bleach to your pool each evening with the pump running.

Look into pricing water trucked in. Consider the convenience factor of getting it done with, and the chance to enjoy the pool now, this summer!

Then you'll start off relatively fresh with our help to *maintain* that water without all those potions and chemicals that have been added.

Maddie :flower:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.