amraney

Jun 7, 2019
Oklahoma
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I've been doing the SLAM process for a couple weeks. Been brushing the pool daily and did a blind vacuum Monday. Feel like I have got most of the leaves and such out. No algae or green color when I sweep. Just a very cloudy blue pool. Been keeping it at all the right levels for the most part during the SLAM. It passed the over night chlorine test before I vacuumed. So in the past on this site I was told in a pinch you could use a Clarifier as floc. I'm having a swimming party this weekend so I added 1 qt of Super Blue to my pool (my pool is 26,500 gallons). I've waited 48hrs now with no change, not even a little. I can't remember or find the dosing that I did last time but was wondering what I should do. Add more and wait for it to drop to the bottom or do a blind vacuum to waste? It didn't take this long last time for everything to drop to the bottom. Any help in appreciated!!

What is Super Blue?
Only two clarifiers are known to work effectively, SeaKlear or Orenda Chitosan.

And only if you have passed multiple OCLT's and have used DE in your sand filter for several days.

Reactions: Mdragger88
What is Super Blue?
Only two clarifiers are known to work effectively, SeaKlear or Orenda Chitosan.

And only if you have passed multiple OCLT's and have used DE in your sand filter for several days.
Robarb Super Blue Clarifier is what I used. My mistake on that...I thought any would work. I almost ran the DE through first.

I don’t think anyone here recommended that particular clarifier.
I would not add anymore.
You will likely now really need to deep clean your sand- which you should have maybe just done instead anyway especially if you haven’t done so in some time (year or so) and are concerned you have a filtering problem.
Clarifiers are like glue. Not something you want in your filter media.
After which you can try the de - it must be replenished with each backwash

Aside from that - doing all the things is the answer & having patience as sand filters take the longest to clear.

For a successful SLAM Process
you need to continue to MAINTAIN Slam level fc for your cya as often as possible (multiple times per day is best) until you meet ALL 3 end of slam criteria-

You are done when:

CC is 0.5 or lower;
You pass an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test
AND
the water is clear.
(Crystal Clear w/no algae dead or alive)

*Check & scrub every nook & cranny where algae may hide (light niches, steps, drain covers, ladder handrails, skimmer throats/weirs, abandoned lines, autofill, overflow drains, etc.)
*If water can go there, algae can thrive there.
*Run slam level water through all water features & lines for at least a couple hours a day during the SLAM Process.
*Brush & or vac daily (this breaks up biofilms that algae uses to protect itself from chlorine)
*Backwash/clean filter when pressure rises 25%over clean pressure.
What is your cya & fc level?

Okay. I guess I was mistaken on who told me...it was back in 18'. I was just going to ask if I should run DE through it after I filter it out. So thank you both for your help. Shouldn't have gotten in a hurry...I already know better!:rolleyes:

Okay. I guess I was mistaken on who told me...it was back in 18'. I was just going to ask if I should run DE through it after I filter it out. So thank you both for your help. Shouldn't have gotten in a hurry...I already know better!:rolleyes:
You’re not the 1st one to cave & reach for clarifier and probably won’t be the last. Just glad it wasn’t floc! So long as this was a 1 time add it probably hasn’t gummed the sand up terribly.
About the DE:
It doesn’t clean your filter.
The way the de works is that it sits there on the sand & helps grab the finer particles that may be currently passing through. It essentially “dirties up” the sand. Sand actually filters better when its a little dirty so long as its not clumped up. It’s a temporary help as it is flushed away when you backwash so you have to keep adding after each backwash if You’re in need of the effect. You must also be available to watch the pressure as it can cause it to rise quickly requiring backwashing more frequently. Be sure to read the guide & follow it to avoid trouble. Don’t do what it says on the box. It doesn’t take much.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.