Floating weir system

SerenityIV

Aug 2, 2019
Orlando, FL
Recently put in an Aladdin b38 floating weir with a new skimmer basket (Without weir door flap) and had a couple of questions. The weir fits right in the basket too it seems.
It bobs up and down quite a bit, more so with swimmers. I assume that’s fine?

Also, the basket I got floats up when the pump is off, which I understand is normal. However, I’ve noticed a couple of rare times where the basket and floating weir have not suctioned back down to the bottom or got dislodged during swimming. Figured my suction was good enough. Have it set halfway between skimmer and main drain on the pool pad. Water level is halfway in skimmer. Should I weigh the basket down? I’m concerned about proper water flow being thrown off knowing I’m using a floating weir with it If I weigh the basket down.
Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Serenity,
I just purchased a similar system (Skim-a-round) that I saw on FB. It's a floating weir and basket combo, that has an outer ring which creates a seal in the skimmer housing when the pump in running. It works unbelievably once I made a few tweeks.

First question, is there some sort of outer ring that allows it to create a water tight seal so nothing goes past the basket and straight into the pump suction?

Also, I would recommend closing off your main drain to ~15-20% open to allow the majority of the work to be handled by the skimmer. This is more trial and error to get everything balanced out right. I have 2 skimmers and a main drain, and the skimmer closest to the pump needed to be closed to around 50% with the opposite side skimmer opened fully, and the main drain open about 15%.

Excellent point. Did some reading around and it seems some people barely use the main drain. So my 50% to skimmer and 50% to main drain is probably not necessary. Going to go 80% to skimmer. I’ll take a peak to see if there’s that seal you mention tomorrow. I need to re-examine my setup. Will update tomorrow.

Excellent point. Did some reading around and it seems some people barely use the main drain. So my 50% to skimmer and 50% to main drain is probably not necessary. Going to go 80% to skimmer. I’ll take a peak to see if there’s that seal you mention tomorrow. I need to re-examine my setup. Will update tomorrow.
Have an issue similar to yours. Did you find that going 80% on skimmer worked? Thanks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.