tobypine2

Mar 29, 2024
Tennessee
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
So my daughters and I built this deck next to the pool last year. It’s time to sand and seal it. What are some good but not too involved options? I don’t really want to have to rent anything. TIA
IMG_8402.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_8448.jpeg
    IMG_8448.jpeg
    787.4 KB · Views: 3
I would use an oil based stain. Use a one gallon sprayer to apply the stain and back roll with a roller. I would avoid acrylic stain. I used Behr acrylic stain on my deck. It didn't penetrate the wood very well and started flaking off like old paint in the second year.

Reactions: tobypine2
I used this on a patio cover, not a deck, and it absorbed great and seems to be holding up very well although it's only been about 2 years. I haven't noticed any fading or imperfections. At this point I would definitely use it again.

Although expensive for a large deck, drying oils like Tung oil, maintain the feel and texture of the wood while making it waterproof. The oil penetrates the wood fiber and, within a few days, completely hardens. It is usually applied by ragging with the excess wiped off. It only requires one coat. It will usually darken the wood slightly leaving a light honey-brown color behind. The only thing you need to do to prep the surface is to ensure the wood is clean and dry. You can lightly sand the surface if you want, but it’s usually not necessary unless the wood has something on it that you want to take off.

Although expensive for a large deck, drying oils like Tung oil, maintain the feel and texture of the wood while making it waterproof. The oil penetrates the wood fiber and, within a few days, completely hardens. It is usually applied by ragging with the excess wiped off. It only requires one coat. It will usually darken the wood slightly leaving a light honey-brown color behind. The only thing you need to do to prep the surface is to ensure the wood is clean and dry. You can lightly sand the surface if you want, but it’s usually not necessary unless the wood has something on it that you want to take off.
My dad used to make sets of kitchen knives with factory seconds and hardwood handles. I made a set of tiger bar maple handles and sealed with tung oil. Brought out the stripes wonderfully.

Reactions: JoyfulNoise