Fishing New Line In PVC

Help us to visualize what you are doing. You have an old PVC cleaning/vacuum line you want to repurpose correct? If so, what are you going to use it for? Another return jet? Something else? Or did I completely misunderstand the question. :crazy: Pics may help.

Help us to visualize what you are doing. You have an old PVC cleaning/vacuum line you want to repurpose correct? If so, what are you going to use it for? Another return jet? Something else? Or did I completely misunderstand the question. :crazy: Pics may help.
Going to repurpose a vacuum line for a screw in pool light. Need to fish a new line down it but there are a couple tight bends a normal wire fish won't go past.

Reactions: Texas Splash
Oooh, okay. That's a good distance. I've seen some contractors take thin line, like fishing line or something, with a tiny object attached to the end, then they push air through the PVC line. Once they get it blown to the other end, then they add new line to the starting-backside end until they eventually get the wire they need connected and pulled through the way they want. But the key is to get that first "light" line blown all the way to the end so they have something to pull.

Typically I get a small plastic grocery bag and tie my pull string to it. I use the nylon pull string from the electrical isle at lowes. Then use a shop vac to suck the plastic bag/pull string through the pipe. Being that your pvc is probably below water level, I am not sure if that approach would work since there will be water in the pvc. Same general idea as Pat gave you but suction vs pressure to get the object/bag through the pipe.

You need a 100+ foot fish tape. They are expensive, maybe a buddy will have one you can borrow. It may get hard to push after 180* of bend but you’ll just have to see if you can get it through. If the fish tape with a properly bent head on it will go through the wire/cable for the light should easily fit in the pipe.
Most pool plumbing is 1 1/2” or 2”

Typically I get a small plastic grocery bag and tie my pull string to it. I use the nylon pull string from the electrical isle at lowes. Then use a shop vac to suck the plastic bag/pull string through the pipe. Being that your pvc is probably below water level, I am not sure if that approach would work since there will be water in the pvc. Same general idea as Pat gave you but suction vs pressure to get the object/bag through the pipe.
Nice. I guess you could make an "elbow" that screws into the pool-side outlet and brings the pipe above the water line?

Nice. I guess you could make an "elbow" that screws into the pool-side outlet and brings the pipe above the water line?
You can - be prepared to get wet if you think there’s water in the line.
They make a foam & plastic thing called a mouse for this purpose - they come in various pipe sizes & have a place to hook the jet line string on to. If you have more than 180* of bend in the pipe it may not work.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Way back in the day I saw this done with a badminton shuttlecock. Guy drilled a hole straight through the head and tied a couple knots in his string. It worked great.

Going to repurpose a vacuum line for a screw in pool light. Need to fish a new line down it but there are a couple tight bends a normal wire fish won't go past.
Be very careful trying to pull electrical through water plumbing. Those hard 90s will be a issue. Its very easy to get stuff stuck. Old electrician's saying, "God and an act of congress can't pull past 3 90s." Even in those videos, where they are saying "pipe" they are talking about conduit with its sweep fittings, not water pipe. You might get a pull-string through using the methods recommended, but the electrical cord that goes to a lighting fixture is not the same.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.