First-year pool owner of an above ground Intex pool with salt water generator

indelible

Oct 18, 2022
Folsom, CA
Hi, all, the first year seemed fairly trouble-free with this pool setup. I am debating whether or not to take it down for the winter, but that's for another post. I've been recently facing the Error 91 "Low Salt" error and have joined this forum to try to resolve the problem there and understand the system a little better.

Fortunately, the system is still under warrantee and I have a claim with Intex to send me a new saltwater generator. Hopefully the other one will last longer than 6 months. Anyhow, thanks for creating this thread, thread-owner. Hope to learn more here.

Hey Indelible and Welcome !!!

Here's the Pool Care Basics
Here's the payoff How Clear is TFP Clear?

The SWGs salt reading is electrical as opposed to chemical. It's not very accurate and even changes with temperature. Salt strips and the pool store tests are equally as off. You need a drop based salt test kit to have a more accurate understanding of what the levels actually are. (Taylor k-1766)

Matter of fact, you need a drop based kit for the rest of it too. We pride ourselves on precision here and the results speak for themselves. Check out Test Kits Compared. They cost less than one trip to the pool store and will pay for itself several times over in its 2 year lifespan.

Put the results in PoolMath and it will tell you the generic chemicals to go buy on the cheap, like baking soda or borax.

Read away and ask anytime you have a blank that needs filling. :)

Reactions: Mdragger88
As @Newdude said - accurately knowing your actual salt level (& other levels) is the 1st step in solving this mystery & getting this unit (or it’s replacement) to play nice.
The drop kit - Taylor k1766- is +- 200 ppm for accuracy (this is included in the tf100 salt & taylor k2006 salt kits)
Meters (if properly calibrated) & strips are +- 500ppm for accuracy
Those units are finicky - a little too much/little & bam 💥 high/low salt alarm 🚨 so being as accurate as possible is key with them.
Until you get the swg sorted be sure to dose with liquid chlorine to maintain fc levels in target 🎯 range for your cya at all times FC/CYA Levels
No need to let this hiccup turn into a mess.
PoolMath will help you calculate dosages based on your pool volume & liquid chlorine/bleach strength.

Reactions: Newdude