First Timer at my wits end!!!

May 27, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
Hi All,

We bought a house Aug 2016 with a 20 x 40 in ground pool. We had a good time with it last summer.

The guys we had close it did a terrible job, tarp fell in, no one wanted to take the job of opening it and I ended up doing it myself.

I removed over 5 wheel barrows full of leaves. got the water balanced, and so you can just barely see the bottom of deep end (8ft I believe)

All was well until I tried vacumming. Couldn't get good suction. Now I can't keep the pump primed. I'm at my wits end.

Pump running there is NO water in the reservoir or it is very low. Turn the pump off and it fills up to full. Turn it back on, it empties again.

ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!!! Thank you in advance.

For what its worth as stated 20x40 with 8ish ft deep end, a single skimmer at the deep end and a 1.0 HP hayward pump with multi setting sand filter.

Thanks again.

First check is that the water level in the pool is high enough and that the weir in the skimmer isn't sticking.

Then try opening the air bleed on the filter when you start the pump.

After that you're down to checking for suction side leaks or a clogged pipe. If you vacuumed up a wad of leaves, they could be bunched up in a turn somewhere. Stuffing a garden hose into the pipe from the pump basket end and sealing it up with a rag while your helper turns on the water is one way of pushing the clot back out. If you have a drain king, that's even better.

First check is that the water level in the pool is high enough and that the weir in the skimmer isn't sticking.

Then try opening the air bleed on the filter when you start the pump.

After that you're down to checking for suction side leaks or a clogged pipe. If you vacuumed up a wad of leaves, they could be bunched up in a turn somewhere. Stuffing a garden hose into the pipe from the pump basket end and sealing it up with a rag while your helper turns on the water is one way of pushing the clot back out. If you have a drain king, that's even better.

I did just try the garden hose trick. No luck. Forgive my ignorance, but what is the "air bleed?"

I did just try the garden hose trick. No luck. Forgive my ignorance, but what is the "air bleed?"
Usually on top of the filter right by the pressure gauge, there's some kind of valve to open and let air that's trapped in the filter out. On mine, the whole thing turns, gauge and all, the air, and then water, squirts out the open port up there. Different filters use different types. Whatever you have, it will be at the very top.

Usually on top of the filter right by the pressure gauge, there's some kind of valve to open and let air that's trapped in the filter out. On mine, the whole thing turns, gauge and all, the air, and then water, squirts out the open port up there. Different filters use different types. Whatever you have, it will be at the very top.

Ok, thanks. When I put the garden hose down in the skimmer hole (for lack of a better term), a small amount of debris came up, but the host was stopped about 2-3 feet in. Is that normal? Would that indicate a blockage, or is there a turn there or something and I would expect it to get difficult to push any further?

Thanks again for all the help!

Ok, thanks. When I put the garden hose down in the skimmer hole (for lack of a better term), a small amount of debris came up, but the host was stopped about 2-3 feet in. Is that normal? Would that indicate a blockage, or is there a turn there or something and I would expect it to get difficult to push any further?

Thanks again for all the help!
Don't try using the hose as a snake. Use water pressure to backwash the plumbing. Push the hose in, seal it up snug with a rag and hold it there, and have a helper turn on the water and then go look in the skimmer for you. There should be obvious water flow coming up from the hole in the bottom. If you're lucky, also a bunch of leaves and twigs that were clogging things.

Also, don't put the hose in the skimmer. Open up the pump, remove its strainer basket, and put the hose into the pump's inlet pipe.

If you push water in from the skimmer, you're compacting the clog. If you push water backwards from the pump, you push the clog back into the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
A plumber's snake is fine or a drain king.

I picked up a drain king and first gave it several minutes towards the skimmer (pump off). Virtually no debris came out. I then closed the basket and put it in the skimmer with the pump off, and I could hear water running through the whole system (pump and filter), but nothing came loose there either.

Any other suggestions?

Should I do soapy water on all my joints? This is driving me nuts!!! I just want prime dangit! :confused:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.