First time with a pool

JWT4700

May 28, 2020
PA
Hello all,
This site, as well as some google searching and YouTube vids have been very helpful with learning about how to tend a pool. I can see now why as a kid our parents always said no to getting a pool- it’s too much work and too expensive...they were right.

So we just took over the pool at my grandmothers house. It has never been properly maintained, and in the last 5 years I’ve never seen clear water in it. The pump was always ran on recirculate, sand was only half full, the pump would only get run on nice days (again only on recirculate lol) and the only chemicals where a couple a Chlorine tablets every few days. So my quest for clear water has went well over the last week. I’ve been sourcing most of the chemicals at Ollie’s as they just had a big sale, 2.99 for a gallon of shock and something similar for algaecide. Tried floculant last night and this morning the water was clear and you could actually see the bottom of the pool. Vacuumed a lot out but it stirred up enough that I can only see about half way down. I think so anything round of flocculant and should be very close to clean water. The only chemical issue was no chlorine. I was adding a gallon every night. After reading the shock and floc method I added like 5 gallons and actually had a slight reading of Chlorine the next morning.
A Few questions for the more knowledgeable: I have a container of the hth 6 way test strips, the sticker looks pretty old and faded. Do these ever go bad?
Maintenance wise, if replaced the sand and replaced the pressure gauge, and cleaned the pump trap.
The big issue I’m having now is pressure/flow out of the return line. On recirc it runs about 8-10psi and the flow out of the return jet is great! On filter the pressure is around 12 and the flow starts out fine but quickly diminishes. The pressure only goes up to around 16psi.
Turn the pump off, wait 30 seconds and turn it back on and the flow is again strong and repeat.
I’m tempted to tear the pump apart and see if the impeller might need cleaned out. Would the valve cause this issue?

20’ round pool 4’ tall so around 10000 gallons. Hayward SP0712 Vaiflo multiport 1-1/2” valve on a Hayward s180T 150lb sand filter with a 1HP 3450 rpm motor

Thanks for the help - great website with lots of knowledge!

Welcome to the forum!
Flocculant is not recommended for use, but as you have used it, you must do your best to remove it by vacuuming to waste and not letting it in your sand filter. If you have let it in your sand filter, there is a great chance you will need to change your sand.
You need to follow the SLAM Process. To do that, you need a proper test kit, see Test Kits Compared. I suggest the TF-100 A proper test kit is needed to get the accurate water chemistry results needed to follow the TFP protocols. Test strips are useless.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Reactions: Wobblerlorri
“ I can see now why as a kid our parents always said no to getting a pool- it’s too much work and too expensive”

If you follow the advice you will get, this statement will be proven to be patently false. With a robot and an swg I do barely anything and will get no where near 200 bucks this year...now I must go float with a drink after watching the spacex launch...then a nice cigar...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.