First Time to SLAM

Sep 15, 2018
Hokes Bluff, AL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I've been a lurker beginning the end of last pool season. I had my pool opened by a local company (mainly for the manual labor of removing the cover). When the cover came off there was a fair amount of silt covering the bottom and walls. They threw chemicals into a dirty pool (hole in the head moment...as I should have told them I'd take it from there.) I have vacuumed to waste several times and used my robot (with the fine filter) a couple of times and the bottom is now much better. The water is still very cloudy (brownish with slight green tint).

Did a water test and my CYA was 65 (no SWG), so I did a partial water exchange with sump pump in deep end and hose filling on shallow end. After 24 hours, my CYA is down to 42 (I have a well on the property making water exchanges economical).

With the CYA lowered, I began my first EVER SLAM.
Began with:
FCL 1.16
TCL 1.23
pH 7.1
Alk 110
CH 41
CYA 42

The CYA/Chlorine chart says I need to get FCL to 16. Three and one-half hours and 8 gallons of 10% bleach later I'm at FC 12.28/TCL 12.7.

If I understand this process, I should continue to monitor and adjust levels to get to 16? And stay at 16 until the pool clears - the CC is 0.5 or lower (I'm already there) - and I can pass as OCLT showing an overnight FC loss of 1.0 ppm or less.

Thanks in advance for help in clarifying I'm understanding this process correctly!

Welcome to the forum!
You are on the right track. The first sign of a successful SLAM is crystal clear water. So until you have that, with no sediment in the pool, etc, keep your FC at SLAM level. Then run the OCLT and the CC at the morning test of the OCLT.

If your CH is really 41 (suspect due to type of test kit), you need to add calcium chloride very soon. That level of CH is eating your plaster away. Shoot for 250 ppm CH.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.

Welcome to the forum!
You are on the right track. The first sign of a successful SLAM is crystal clear water. So until you have that, with no sediment in the pool, etc, keep your FC at SLAM level. Then run the OCLT and the CC at the morning test of the OCLT.

If your CH is really 41 (suspect due to type of test kit), you need to add calcium chloride very soon. That level of CH is eating your plaster away. Shoot for 250 ppm CH.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.
Thanks! I’m working on the CH. I think it may have dropped due to the water exchange to get the CYA down? I picked up 10# of calcium increaser at Walmart this afternoon and added that. I know I’ll need a good bit more to get it up to the recommended level. I need to try and locate the more economical additive rather than pool store variety.

IF your CH is really 40 -- you need almost 50 lbs of calcium chloride to raise your CH to 250 ppm.

IF your CH is really 40 -- you need almost 50 lbs of calcium chloride to raise your CH to 250 ppm.
I tested CH today and the 10 pounds I added yesterday increased it to 57. How would I know if my test kit is a problem? Where’s the best place to get that large a quantity of calcium chloride?

On the SLAMming front, my CC is now up to 1.9. So that means it’s killing stuff off in the pool, yes?

Hummmm. I think Marty might still agree with me on this .... we still think that CH test may be a bit suspect. Just seems like an odd number and still quite low. Nothing like what our recommended test kits provide. Test Kits Compared But if you need more calcium, there should be a variety of hardware or big box stores that have calcium products in your area. You might try a search above to get an idea of where others have purchased some lately.

As for the SLAM, an increased CC does indicate some increased activity between the chlorine and organic material. You estimated your CYA to be 40, so continue to maintain that FC of 16 for the SLAM.

Reactions: pwdpoolgirl
How would I know if my test kit is a problem?
The ColorQ test kit has a history of being suspect on CH and CYA testing.

As much as we distrust pool store testing, I think you should get a pool store test and see how the numbers match up with your ColorQ......particularly on those two parameters.

SLAM is complete and pool looks awesome! You guys were spot on to suspect the CH readings....I checked and one reagent was expired. (Turns out it has a short shelf life of 6 months to begin with). CH is now up over 200 and added another 5# of CH increaser. Will continue to monitor. Looking forward to 'trouble free' pool this summer. My pups are sooooo happy it's now open!

Thanks for your help and hand holding!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
full

• Haha
I've been a lurker beginning the end of last pool season. I had my pool opened by a local company (mainly for the manual labor of removing the cover). When the cover came off there was a fair amount of silt covering the bottom and walls. They threw chemicals into a dirty pool (hole in the head moment...as I should have told them I'd take it from there.) I have vacuumed to waste several times and used my robot (with the fine filter) a couple of times and the bottom is now much better. The water is still very cloudy (brownish with slight green tint).

Did a water test and my CYA was 65 (no SWG), so I did a partial water exchange with sump pump in deep end and hose filling on shallow end. After 24 hours, my CYA is down to 42 (I have a well on the property making water exchanges economical).

With the CYA lowered, I began my first EVER SLAM.
Began with:
FCL 1.16
TCL 1.23
pH 7.1
Alk 110
CH 41
CYA 42

The CYA/Chlorine chart says I need to get FCL to 16. Three and one-half hours and 8 gallons of 10% bleach later I'm at FC 12.28/TCL 12.7.

If I understand this process, I should continue to monitor and adjust levels to get to 16? And stay at 16 until the pool clears - the CC is 0.5 or lower (I'm already there) - and I can pass as OCLT showing an overnight FC loss of 1.0 ppm or less.

Thanks in advance for help in clarifying I'm understanding this process correctly!

I'm in your shoes exactly one year later almost to the day! LOVE this forum --- I start my first SLAM today with the lovely TFP forum helping to hold my hand yesterday to get me started lol...How was pool opening this year?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.